VMware Communities
jpollack0523
Contributor
Contributor

Can you please help me get rid of the annoying "to release input, press ctrl-alt" popup balloons?

Using VMWare Workstation 8.0.1 build-528992

Host OS is Windows 7

Guest OS is CentOs

Working in full-screen mode

Hey all,

For some reason, these stupid hint balloons keep popping up when I'm in full screen mode.  They either say "to release input, press ctrl-alt" or "To direct input to this virtual machine type ctrl-g".

I have "Enable All Hints" and "Show Enabled Hints" unchecked, and I have this line in my .VMX file :

hints.hideAll = "TRUE"

Could you please help me get rid of these popup balloons?  They keep popping up and I can't make them stay away.  It's really annoying.  And looking back in the help forums, it looks like this has been a problem for years.  What's the deal here?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if I remember right that line should go into preferences.ini

0 Kudos
shastafir
Contributor
Contributor

Was there any closure here? I installed Workstation 9.0.2 build-1031769 about fifteen minutes ago and the balloon-hints are already driving me batty. I tried editing the preference.ini file to hints.hideAll = "TRUE" but it didn't seem to help. Can anyone provide any input?

It appears that this is an issue that dates back to at least 2006. That was before the iPhone. What gives?

Thanks,

shastafir

0 Kudos
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think what gives is that your situation seems rather unique, and the rest of us are not seeing these pop-up baloons.

I don't see them, not in full screen mode or any other mode.

Under the Workstation main menu, there is a HELP menu item, which contains a check box for enabling all hints or Show only Enabled hints.

Maybe unchecking both will kill those pop ups?

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Is it possible thiat you could  take and post a screenshot?  I myself have never seen a popup per se in WS - but its a complex program so I might be luckySmiley Happy

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Magmai_Kai_Holm
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare 11, same issue

Super-annoying "To release input, press CTRL+ALT" balloon pop-up text all the time when I go full-screen.

Doesn't happen in windowed mode.

0 Kudos
dcell59
Contributor
Contributor

This is a weird one. I've been using VMWare Workstation since version 5, and I had never seen this balloon before. This week I got a new host and when I installed VMWare 11 on it, I got this balloon and now I see it 20-30 times a day.

It should be very easy to make it possible to not show this. What's surprising is the number of people who have posted about this over the last few years and yet it hasn't been solved. The product is not so complicated that they couldn't fix this - if it is, they need to be rewriting it.

0 Kudos
Loren_Pechtel
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know what makes it bug some people and not others.  VMWare loaded an update this morning and now I've got this garbage.

0 Kudos