VMware Communities
timofcourse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Error restoring snapshot

On two separate occasions since upgrading to VMware Workstation 8 Ive run into the following error when trying to revert back to a snapshot:

Error restoring snapshot: Could not delete change tracking file.

Surprisingly a search on this error both here in on google pulled up zero results.

Has anyone run into this issue before? Is there any way I can revert back to my snapshot or am I out of luck?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

CBT (Changed Block Tracking) is a feature of ESXi. I'd suggest you delete the following two lines from the.vmx file

scsi0:0.ctkEnabled = "true"
ctkEnabled = "true"

as well as the "v10-Master_DemoServer-000002-ctk.vmdk" while the VM is powered off.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

that sounds like the VM is coming from ESXi ???

to help you we need:

the vmware.logs
a list of files in the directory of the VM
the vmsd-file
the vmx-file

please zip that altogether into a single archive and attach it to your next post

0 Kudos
timofcourse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thats correct. We copy ESXi 5 images via SCP and run them in Workstation. Prior to Workstation v8/ESXi5 we were able to do this and use snapshots all the time without issue. Is that no longer the case?

I should also mention that I am able to make a linked clone from the snapshot. Not sure if that helps.

Attached are the requested files.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

CBT (Changed Block Tracking) is a feature of ESXi. I'd suggest you delete the following two lines from the.vmx file

scsi0:0.ctkEnabled = "true"
ctkEnabled = "true"

as well as the "v10-Master_DemoServer-000002-ctk.vmdk" while the VM is powered off.

André

0 Kudos
timofcourse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That did it. Thanks a bunch.

Are there any other settings that should be updated when using ESXi images with Workstation that you're aware of?

Thanks again all.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not aware of any other settings, except for networking or any special configurations like pass-through devices etc. Actually I was surprised that the CBT settings are even recognized by VMware Workstation.

André

0 Kudos