VMware Cloud Community
stevebenner1970
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to delete a user from the VCenter Server (v5)

Hi...

You folks are my last hope before I reach for the almight cigarette, a bottle of rum and a loaded revolver!!!

Here's the situation, one of my techies added a user to the VSphere / Vcenter server.  Unfortunately now when I try and delete said user, I keep getting from the vSphere client:

Call "AuthorizationManager.RemoveEntityPermission" for object "AuthorizationManager" on vCenter Server "VSPHERE.prodnet.local" failed.

I have tried this with many different accounts hoping I could get around it and have come up flat.  Adding insult to injury I have tried to use the PowerShell command but find that more painful than my first divorce!

Again, the user is at the top level of the vCenter server and deleting this account hasn't worked for me thus far...

PLEASE HELP...  The pistol is provoking me!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
stevebenner1970
Contributor
Contributor

To add to this, in checking the logs, it seems to be erroring out with:

vim.fault.authminimumadminpermission

I understand this and that's precisely WHY I am trying to get rid of this user...

Is there a way to bypass this or set something for it to ignore??

0 Kudos
stevebenner1970
Contributor
Contributor

Sometimes the best way to solve a problem is force yourself to keep looking...

http://communities.vmware.com/message/673745

My SysAdmin thought he was securing the VM boxes by adding the local administrators group, but the problem is that we have way too many DA's in our infrastructure currently and unless I configured a local back door to cover things, I couldn't take the group out...

Arrrrgh, leaving work, thanks for at least laughing at me for a little while...

Putting the revolver and the rum away...  Well, maybe not the rum...  LOL

0 Kudos
Edwoden
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar problem. There were several groups that had been created using an old LDAP identity. I had orphaned groups in vCenter and could not delete them.

Steps Performed in vCenter 5.5:

Logged into vcenter

Top level (root object)

Permissions tab

Right-Click Group -> Delete

Error: (Call "AuthorizationManager.RemoveEntityPermission" for object "AuthorizationManager" on vCenter Server )

Attempted to restore original LDAP connection

Logged into vSphere Web-client

Click Administration -> Configuration -> Add Identity source

Follow steps to reconstruct source

Attempted deletion of groups, failed

Resolution:

Logged into SQL server

Open MSSMS

Expand databases

Expand vCenter Database

Expand tables

Right-click dbo.VPX_ACCESS

Select Top 100 Rows

Check if the accounts or groups are present in the PRINCIPAL column

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP YOUR DATABASE PRIOR TO ANY CHANGES.

MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE DELETING THE CORRECT ACCOUNT, THERE IS NO WAY TO RECOVER THE ACCOUNT WITHOUT A PROPER BACKUP/RESTORATION.

Single Account/Group

DELETE  FROM [VMware].[dbo].[VPX_ACCESS] where PRINCIPAL='USER-OR-GROUP-TO-DELETE';

Multiple

DELETE  FROM [VMware].[dbo].[VPX_ACCESS] where PRINCIPAL LIKE 'USER-OR-GROUP-TO-DELETE';

Restart Windows services

VMware vCenter Inventory Service

VMware VirtualCenter Server

VMware VirtualCenter Management Webservices

Log back into the vCenter

Check that the account or group was removed from the permissions tab

Note

I can't stress enough a proper and full backup prior to any mayor changes to your database.

Hope it help!

Thank you

0 Kudos