VMware Horizon Community
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Unable to change Display settings in Windows 7

Greetings,

In a few of our Windows 7 base images we have noticed that we are unable to allow users to change their display settings. We have tried adding the View agent GPO and setting it to allow users to change their display settings but for some reason it does not take affect. Is there something I am missing in this? What needs to be done in order for a user to change their display settings in a View desktop? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have the settings tab available to you?   If not you can take a look at the KB below.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1020809

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are these users using the RDP or PCOIP protocol to connect? 

0 Kudos
caryers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am run into the same issue in our Win7 4.6 VDI environment.

What I have learned is:

• The Win7 VM display is set during the View Client selection during login....
  • Once logged in with that parameter, it is set for that session or when you resize your session.
  • If you are using display parameters within GPO, that will prevent you from modifying your display settings as well.

Thanks, Scott

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for the follow up. I should have said that the users are all using PCoIP as the display protocol. That is the only protocol I allow.

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What other display settings can I use. The only GPO settings that we are using come from the View agent. We have set those to allow users to change their display resolution and text size, but the users is still unable to change settings.

0 Kudos
caryers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was referring to PCoIP only as well. I don't believe you can MANUALLY change via control panel your resolution once you have established a View session. Again, that is set when you select your View Display on your View login box. So try this, open a small VDI session with PCoIP. Right click on the desktop, and select Screen Resolution. Note the resolution. Now grab your View session and resize it to a smaller or larger size window and note the resolution change. This is basically the only way you can come close to manually changing your VDI session resolution.

I preface this by simply stating, this is how I know it to be...

I hope this info helps!

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying correctly. We are using Wyse P20 zero clients. How can I do what you suggest with one of those?

0 Kudos
caryers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Gotcha....Are you using the Windows Embedded or the Linux OS on the P20?

If linux, then you probably can't do it.

mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can specify screen resolution under options, user settings, and display topology on the P20.

tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks guys,

Your suggestions are helpful, but I still need to allow access to the Windows display control panel applet. Setting the PCoIP agent to allow this does not work for some reason. This is what has been recommened by VMware and others as a means to adjust the display. Also, by only working on the P20 settings one cannot change the Windows font size.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have the settings tab available to you?   If not you can take a look at the KB below.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1020809

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks, this was the answer. I am still not sure by local group policy did not work for me, but the registry edit did the job. Looking at this from the perspective of the settings you suggested in the wyse terminal and Windows 7 I can see why the agent locks the display settings by default.

0 Kudos
chrisrule
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The registry settings in the KB article VMware KB: Settings tab is not available in the Display control panel of a View desktop in local mod... also work in Windows 7 and corrected the issue for me.

I was having a heck of a time after I upgraded my dual monitors on a Wyse P20 from 19" to 22".  I set the resolution in View on the desktop pool but only the first monitor had the correct resolution- the second monitor was less than the resolution on the original 19" monitors.  I fiddled and monkeyed with all the settings I could think of with no success.  After changing the registry key I was able to manually set the display resolution.

0 Kudos