VMware Cloud Community
GaneshNetworks

PowerCLI command/Script to manage services running on VM

Here is my expectation:

I have to write a script to start/stop services that are running on windows 2003 virtual machines. eg., spoolsv.exe, rtvscan.exe.

I believe that the versions of my VC, ESX is not needed to mention here. All I am  expecting from this place is, simple script that makes my job easier. It would be most appreciated, If anyone give me an exact script that fullfill my expectation or some useful links or any inputs.

Thanks,

Ganesh

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
6 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You can use the Stop-Service and Start-Service cmdlets.

There are plenty of examples available on the Internet, this is just one Start Windows Services with PowerShell

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Is there a special requirement why you want to do this using PowerCLI? If not, the Windows sc command line tool can do this too.

André

GaneshNetworks

There isn't a special requirement to do this using PowerCLI. I never heard about windows SC command, thats the reason why I am looking for a automated process using PowerCLI.

Once I googled about SC command, found that the windows SC command will fullfill my expectation. Will let you know the status. Thanks Anyway ! ! !

Also I believed that I could get some useful information to my requirement from this place. You guys, proved that this the place where all can get immediate solution. Hats Off ! ! !

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Ganesh,

Once i get Into the office I will post the script that I use.

Meanwhile feel free to share your SC command powershell script here too Smiley Happy

Kind Regards,

Albert Widjaja T.

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks

Hi Albert,

SC command is not related to PowerCLI script. SC command will work on windows command prompt or you can integrate the same command in PowerShell. Right now, I dont have any script to manage services running on VM.

Desperately waiting for your turn. Why not you go to office on Sunday??? ha ha ha . . .

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Here it is Ganesh,

Monday morning from the office:

$path = "C:\tmp\"
$serverlist = get-content "$path\serverlist.txt"
$servicename = "HPAgent"
foreach ($server in $serverlist){
$result = Test-Connection $server -Count 1 -Quiet
if ($result -eq "True") {
$servicetorestart = Get-Service -name $servicename -ComputerName $server -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
if ($servicetorestart.Name -ne $servicename) {
Add-Content "$path\noservice.txt" -Value ("$server" + " " + "Service $servicename is not present")
}
else {
sc.exe \\$server stop "$servicename"
Start-Sleep -Seconds 5
sc.exe \\$server start "$servicename"
Add-Content "$path\ServiceRestarted.txt" -Value $server
}
}
else {
Add-Content "$path\NotRespondingServers.txt" -Value $server
}
}

You can also change the line:

$serverlist = get-content "$path\serverlist.txt"  

with:

$serverlist = get-vm

to make it working.

Hope that can be the solution for you Ganesh.

Cheers,

Albert

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos