VMware Cloud Community
Ivanildo_GalvÃ_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

P2V infinitely slow

Masters, yesterday I tried to do a P2V of a Windows 2003 Server with 8GB of RAMand about 300GB of hard drive, server, Dell PE 2800 with gig NICs, in the process Iwas using my laptop that has vCenter Converter, but the network card isFastEthernet, the target server is a Dell T410 with 8GB of RAM with ESXi 5, butalready have a Windows server 2008 R2 and a Debian virtualized ESXi free memory is only 1.5GB of RAM.

Well I started the process and was taking forever, I've surprised because this process servers in other similar profile, changing only the manufacturer of IBM andDell to this day the P2V took half an hour yesterday every time I started it stipulated1h 3 minutes, then jumped to 24 hours, transfer rate miserable 985kb /s.

Well, the switch is a customer Furukawa FastEthernet, so I thought, it should be, so I made a cross cable, called ESXi in Giga Ethernet and Giga Ethernet in 2003,installed in VMware Converter to convert servidro own, well, with cross cable, Giganetwork, should go fast, I thought.

Nah, just as slowly, the same throughput.

Well, with my testimony, what can you guys think is catching? Could it be memory?But I do not think the end is converted and the machine is switched off at the destination until it is finished, the memory would be an adjustment factor to be done after converted, ok?

I found it very strange the delay for the conversion, dem me the power of knowledgeto you.

Ivanildo Galvão
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

if you are using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 5.0 you can try the work around listed in the Release Notes

1. Open the converter-worker.xml configuration file. It is usually located in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone folder.
  2. Set the key Config/nfc/useSsl to false.Save the configuration file.
  3. Restart the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Worker service.
Ivanildo_GalvÃ_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks friend, I will do this test next week, probably on Tuesday and then post the result here.

Ivanildo Galvão
0 Kudos
Althathwe
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. My problem solved.

0 Kudos
edmandsj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. Fixed my problem. Migrating a 250GB Windows Server 2003 VM from old to new storage on ESXi Free. I was getting ~1MB/sec before this change. Now seeing 10-20MB/s.

NOTE: Using services.msc, restart the vmware converter standalone services after editing the config file. Mentioned above but not clear for linux admins like me Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Restarting only the worker service (VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Worker) should suffice, you do not need all 3.

0 Kudos