VMware Cloud Community
digitlman77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Allay my fears - backend SQL move

So, my vCenter is a VM, and the SQL database is on a physical machine running Windows 2003 x64.

Tomorrow, I am going to format that machine and make it a Windows 2008 R2 box, with a SQL 2008 R2 install.

I guess I have 2 options - move the SQL db from that machine to the local SQL install on the vm.  That shouldn't take long to back up the db, move the files, restore to the local SQL, and change the ODBC.  If I do this, I am assuimg that during the "outage" time, nothing (or, nothing *BAD*) will happen to my vms?

The other option is just to let vCenter not run during this time.  I know I have had to reboot the SQL host before, and nothing bad has happened during that timeframe.

I guess I just am looking for some reassurance nothing is going to happen to the running vms as this will be done during business hours.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

vCenetr acts as a proxy to help manage your hosts - if it is not there the VMs will continue to run hosts unaffected - you will lose DRS and the abiliry to vmotion while the vCenter server is down - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
digitlman77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK.

I might just migrate the SQL locally again and leave it.

I use Veeam with SQL app processing.  So, that combined with night SQL backups, I should have the same level of DR as having the DB on another machine.

Thanks!

0 Kudos