VMware Cloud Community
Demuz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Choosing the right license

Hi,

I'm little confused with licensing and hope I can get answers from here. I have a case where VMware ESXi 5 is going to be installed only on one server. HP Proliant ML350 G6 (24GB RAM, 1 CPU with 4 cores). What would be the best license for this case? No need for vMotion, HA etc because there will be only this one server. Would it be the Essential license? Backups are done with Veaam Backup & Replication 6. Veeam B&R relies on vStorage API and some other APIs that are unavailable in Free-edition. Are these available in all paid-versions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

All the licensed versions of vSphere work with Veeam B&R so you can get just the Essential license.  It is sold as part of the Essentials kit which includes 3 host licenses (up to 2 CPUs) and vCenter Server for Essentials.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

All the licensed versions of vSphere work with Veeam B&R so you can get just the Essential license.  It is sold as part of the Essentials kit which includes 3 host licenses (up to 2 CPUs) and vCenter Server for Essentials.

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have only one server use the Essential Bundle (that is the cheapest option, unless you have only a single physical CPU... in this case check also the Standard price).

"Backup API" are supported on each edition (expect the free one).

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

As mentioned in the above post essential kit will do all you required.

But i would suggest to run a free ESXI hypervisor and use agent kind of backup by installing in the virtual machine.

Because you got only 24 GB and 1 processor.. so you might not run more than 4 or 5 VMs depending on the configuration.

So agent backup should work fine.. if your really looking at the cost factor or just go with essential kit.. i dont know how veeam works.. but my suggestion is this..

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
sergeadam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VEEAM might still end up cheaper. Agents are typically not cheap.

Backup Exec agents are $700 per machine. Plus the cost of BE. If you have SQL Server in the mix, that agent is $1,200. VEEAM Essentals is $2,000. For a single CPU, single host, probably cheaper.

0 Kudos
Demuz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, I'm going with Veeam. I really like Veeam B&R much more than Symantec BE  and Veeam's product is also cheaper, faster, better, easier etc Smiley Happy

If I have choosed Symantec BE I would need to install and buy those agents for every machine and even for ESXi if I want to restore VM files.

Veeam does this all and more without the hassle.

There will be about 5 virtual machines in this server.

0 Kudos
Demuz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you all for the answers.

I just choose the cheapest version and that's it.

0 Kudos
durakovicduro83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, there mybe this link helps

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

Cheers,

Denis

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so
0 Kudos
BEMattPM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Demuz -

I am a Product Manager for Backup Exec.  If you are interested, I would love the chance to discuss your decision process in selecting Veeam over BE.  From the posts on this string, I am not sure you received 100% accurate information regarding BE pricing and licensing.  If you would like to discuss further, please contact me either via DM or in the forums.

Matt

0 Kudos