7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2012 8:28 AM by continuum

Hung virtual machine--even the VMware controls are inactive

rjf7r Novice

I upgraded VMware Workstation 7.1.4 to VMware 8.0.1 on November 30.  I have a number of existing VM images that I have continued to use.  One of them is a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit system.  I upgraded VMware tools.  The VM has been working well for about a week.

Today, while that particular VM was executing a long regression testing suite, it froze up.  Not only was the Windows guest frozen, but all VMware operations on that VM also appear to be unavailable or frozen.  Everything on the power menu is grayed out, as is Send Ctrl+Alt+Del.  I can start and run other VMs with no problem.  There is no CPU or other resource usage apparent (aside from memory).  I cannot close, exit, or shut down VMware Workstation entirely--a box pops up and says ""Windows 7 x64 Ultimate" is still busy. Please wait until the operation is complete before closing." if I try to exit or close.

I've been using VMware Workstation since version 6 with dozens of VMs and I have never had a problem like this.

I assume I will have to use Task Manager to kill VMware Workstation.  I have never had to do this before.

The host system is also Windows 7 x64 Ultimate running on a Core 2 Duo quad processor with 8 GB memory.

Has anyone else experienced this, and more specifically, has anyone any insight to cause and cure?