VMware Communities
adamnash
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot Copy & Paste from Mac to Windows

Client OS: Windows 7

Using VMware Fusion 4.0.2

Issue:  When I try to copy & paste on Windows, it's completely divorced from the clipboard on the Mac.

I've tried:

- The help: It says to enable the preference for Clipboard Sharing in the General Settings... but I don't see it there.

- Installing VMware Tools (no luck)

Can anyone help me here?  This has always worked for me in the past, although this is a brand new installation & hard drive.

Adam

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Welcome to the VMware community forums.

Clipboard sharing is a feature of the VMware Tools, so it needs to be properly installed and running for this to work.

What do you mean by "no luck" on the note where you mention that you installed vmware tools. No luck as in "it doesn't help" or No luck as in "didn't install"

I'm not 100% sure, but i think the help you found in the documentation is wrong, I'm not aware of any such option in the user interface. There is an option for it, but it is in configuration files and would normally be set.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
adamnash
Contributor
Contributor

I selected the menu item for "Install VMware Tools".  It completed, and I rebooted the Windows 7 instance, but copy & paste still does not work.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, please attach the VMware Support bundle to the reply of this message and I'll try to take a look.

In order to create the support bundle, go to VMware Fusion menu -> Help -> Collect Support Information.

Wait until it completes, enter your password if asked for and then attach the file vm-11-08-11-xxxx.tgz which has been created on your desktop to the reply here as an attachment.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
adamnash
Contributor
Contributor

Good news.  Resolved the issue.

It was, in fact, that VMware Tools wasn't installed.

Issue was unique to Windows 7.  I had launched the installer, but it had failed silently b/c my account on Windows 7 was having trouble confirming administrator permissions over the network.  (esoteric reason why).  Unfortunately, nothing notified me of the failure, so I thought I had installed tools (twice), but turned out it had failed.

Fixed network issue -> Fixed permissions issue -> installed Vmware tools success -> cut & paste.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Cool :smileygrin:, glad to hear you found the solution and thanks for sharing the answer.

--

Wil

0 Kudos