VMware Cloud Community
rafskr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 4.1 Update 2 and SuppressShellWarning

Hi,

yesterday I've upgraded my ESXi hosts to Update 2.

I received TSM warnings again. There's a KB for it http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2003637

But i should be able to change it within the console as well

~ # esxcfg-advcfg -l| grep -i warning
/Disk/MaxResetLatency [Integer] : Delay in milliseconds before logging warnings and spawning new reset worlds if a reset is overdue or taking too long
/UserVars/SuppressShellWarning [Integer] : Enable or Disable the Tech Support Mode warning
~ # esxcfg-advcfg  -g /UserVars/SuppressShellWarning
Value of SuppressShellWarning is 0
~ # esxcfg-advcfg  -s 1 /UserVars/SuppressShellWarning
Value of SuppressShellWarning is 1
~ # esxcfg-advcfg  -g /UserVars/SuppressShellWarning
Value of SuppressShellWarning is 1
~ #

But when i do it in CLI warning still appears. From GUI is OK.

Am i doing something wrong?

Regards.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't think that methods update the host in real time - perhaps it does not read the file being modified immediately?

A better way would be using PowerCLI to accomplish this. I've tested it and found that it works.

Connect-VIServer vcenter.server.name
Set-VMHostAdvancedConfiguration -VMHost vsphere.host.name -Name UserVars.SuppressShellWarning -Value 1

You can also use a wildcard (*) for the -VMHost vsphere.host.name part

Further reading on my blog post.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
Touffi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Put your server in maintenance mode, reboot or run this command "/sbin/services.sh restart"

Best Regards

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Touffi wrote:

Hi,

Put your server in maintenance mode, reboot or run this command "/sbin/services.sh restart"

Best Regards

Touffi - that method no longer works with 4.1 u2. It is now an advanced config setting.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
rafskr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The point is if it worked before, why it doesn't with Update 2?

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The behavior of the warning was changed to go away when the advanced config was set, rather than when the hostd/mgmt agents were reset, in 4.1u2. I can verify that the old method no longer works.

0 Kudos
rafskr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've notice another thing. In older builds when im doing

taif -f messages and take ctrl+c it quits.

But on hosts with U2 it doesn't. 10 hosts and all are same behaviour.

0 Kudos