VMware Cloud Community
mvrk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 5 + Dell PERC 5i Integrated - install hang

Hi,

I've got a problem with ESXi 5 and also ESXi 4.1 (i've not tried with other versions) and my Dell Perc 5i Integrated, if i remove the raid volumes the installation doesn't hang, but when i configure a raid volume in RAID 0 with my two VelociRaptors WD3000HLFS and try to install ESXi, on ESXi 5 it hangs on Loading scheduler, and with ESXi 4.1 it gives a GP 13 Exception.

Anyone had problems like this one before?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ClaritySolution
Contributor
Contributor

I am having very similar issues.  Installing on a Dell T110 Quad core with the Perc5/i.  Latest firmware on everything seems to not make a difference.  ESXI 5 installation just gets about 30% done and hangs, or sometimes give some marginally helpful error.  Once it was "could not read bootbank", but it always seems to indicate trouble reading from the disk in my opinion.  I am using 4 brand new 1TB Hitachi's (SATA) in RAID 5.

Pulling the Perc5 solves it - it will install esxi 5 problem free at that point, so I know that the rest of the hardware is fine.

Is this just not a controller that ESXI will actually support?  It's 5 years old and from Dell for Pete's sake.

0 Kudos
mvrk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I replaced my card with another one equal, but the problem persists, so it wasn't a malfuntion of the card it self.

Where you able to fix your problem?

I'm going to test my card on another motherboard, maybe my board doesn't like this card.

0 Kudos