3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 11:38 AM by manfriday

validating drop down's in web-views

manfriday Hot Shot

Hi!

I am working on creating a self-service provisioning portal, so our server admin's can generate new VM requets.

It has mostly been built on the vcoteam tutorial. (thanks guys!)

I have been expanding it to allow the admins to select the number of CPU's, amount of RAM, etc..

for the CPU and RAM input, I started out using an array of "Predefined answers", with a default value.

This worked great, except the user could choose "Select..." or "-------" as an option in the drop down, and the workflow would break.

What is the best way to validate for that in the webview?

Alternatively, I did see that there is an "Enums:vCPU" and "Enums:vRAM" variable type.

Those would be great, as the drop downs match the other dropdowns in the workflow..

At least tyhey would be if I could modify them so that the users can only select a maximum of 8GB of ram, or sort them so that the ram choices

are in order.

Thanks

Jason

• 1. Re: validating drop down's in web-views
          cdecanini_ Virtuoso
          VMware Employees

The presentation has some validation properties..

For numbers you can use the Maximum / minimum properties.

You can also write an action validating the input and returning true if right and use the "custom validation" property with linking it to this action.

Christophe.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: validating drop down's in web-views
            manfriday Hot Shot

There must be something simple that I am missing, and I will probably be embarrased when I figure it out..

The validation of these fields does not occur until the form is submitted, at which point the workflow will just fail.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

• 3. Re: validating drop down's in web-views
              manfriday Hot Shot

weird.

Ok, well, I managed to make this work by using variable of type 'string' rather than 'number'.

I set the variable to string, set an array of pre-defined answers, with a default value, and made it a mandatory field.

"Mandatory input" was not available for type 'Number', and it would let me select garbage data. Maybe it's a bug?

Thanks for your help!