VMware Cloud Community
khavaton
Contributor
Contributor

vCD 1.5 installation problems

I am trying to install vCD 1.5 and getting problems in DB connection.

I have installed Oracle 11gR2 DB on RHEL 5.4 (64bit).

When I start with the vCD install process, I get below error after entering Oracle DB details.

"Connecting to the database: jdbc:oracle:thin:@<DB SERVER IP>:1521/orcl.testvcd.com

Could not connect to database. Please reenter."

I have configured the DNS and all the hosts are resolvable.

Is it a known issue? Please let me know if anyone has faced this issue and has the solution.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have you went through the procedure as documented in VMware KB article 2005817 http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2005817 ?

0 Kudos
khavaton
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have gone through that article and have configured the db accordingly. Also gone through another community post below which describes the similar problem. But unfortunately it didn't help.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/285609

Please let me know what might have went wrong.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The most common cause for this is a mismatch on the TNS listener.  I noticed you have:

orcl.testvcd.com

Did you happen to just try 'orcl'?  In some documentation the Oracle server gets setup with a short name and in others it references an FQDN.  you can also check the oracle config to see what name the listener is using.  9 times out of 10 the issue is the name syntax OR the username you are using was not granted the right GRANTS on the DB.  Usually it is one of those two things.

0 Kudos
khavaton
Contributor
Contributor

Hey.. Thanks for the reply.

I figured out the issue and it was the issue with oracle db only. The db was in idle state and was unable to startup.

TNS listener is also fine. I used the SERVICE_NAME=orcl.testvcd.com.

Thank you all.

0 Kudos
cfor
Expert
Expert

I know this is not directly related to this post, but I wanted to add it in case someone is searching and hit this in regards to another issue.

If you are using RedHat linux + Oracle 11, the jdbc lib will not connect correctly if your servers time is set to UTC.  If you need UTC set to GMT+0.

This one took me hours to figure out, issue is for some reason the Oracle client tries to find a UTC timezone and has issues, I am not sure why - but the GMT+0 fixed it for me every time I got it (every single install of v1.0 cloud on oracle)

ChrisF (VCP4, VCP5, VCP-Cloud) - If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos