VMware Communities
Lamaay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Workstation 8 - poor performance of the guest after suspend

I have a problem in Vmware Workstation 8.

After suspend of guest-VM und again after Power On (on the workstation tool bar) there poor performance of the guest-VM.

This clearly visible while fast scrolling text by mouse wheel or cursor keys.

But if the guest-VM shut down (Power Off on the workstation tool bar) and then Power On again (not just restart the VM) - its all right, like on Workstation 7.1.4.

Host: Win7x64 8Gb AMD Phenom II X4 955.

Guest: WinXPx86 1Gb.

Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

--In-Guest, check TASKMGR and see if any process is hogging the CPU...

--I would also recommend defragging both guest and host; you may also want to try reinstalling Vmware Tools

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
0 Kudos
Lamaay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Task Manager shows that the active application is hogging the CPU (while scrolling).

It is also not from the fragmentation or Vmware Tools.

I tested the behavior on different PCs - always the same. On VMwarePlayer it works without this problem.

Please test it. This is a serious problem, which should be resolved by vmware.

0 Kudos
Shillerua
Contributor
Contributor

same problem after upgrading to vmware workstation 8

host - windows 7 64bit

guests - XP 32 bit, XP64 bit, windows 2003 32 bit

seems ok on guests windows 7 64 bit, vista 32 bit

increasing ram in guest has no effect

tried with and without upgrading vm version. tried with new and old vmware tools.

0 Kudos
Shillerua
Contributor
Contributor

- on win7 its ok with aero on

- it is reproduced in about 10 seconds after unchecking "enable desktop composition" in System - Advanced - Performance Settings - Visual Effects.

- it is fixed only for about 10 seconds after enabling back this option.

- I have to reselect aero theme in Personalization to fix this immediately and permanently.

- it is reproduced about after 10 seconds after selecting Windows 7 Basic theme.

also confirm it is not reproduced on vmware player on all guest OSs

0 Kudos
jtech201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Shillerua wrote:

- on win7 its ok with aero on

- it is reproduced in about 10 seconds after unchecking "enable desktop composition" in System - Advanced - Performance Settings - Visual Effects.

- it is fixed only for about 10 seconds after enabling back this option.

- I have to reselect aero theme in Personalization to fix this immediately and permanently.

- it is reproduced about after 10 seconds after selecting Windows 7 Basic theme.

also confirm it is not reproduced on vmware player on all guest OSs

Shillerua is right. I can reproduce the bug. There's no performance penalty when Aero is enabled and you resume your suspended vm.

When Aero is disabled in the vm, resuming causes bad graphics performance. This is visible when you fast scroll text on web sites.

I can also confirm the bug is not reproduced on vmware player 4.0

Ubuntu 10.04 desktop x64 guest is also suffering from bad graphics performance;

more at this url: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1830552#1830552

VMware employee could join this discussion, reproduce and confirm this bug. Hopefully VMware inspects this bug, and releases patch for this bug.

Host: Windows 7 SP1 x64, Intel Core i7-860, 8gb ram, Intel SSD 320 160GB, Geforce GTX 580 3GB

Guest - Windows 7 Ultimate sp1 x64

Message was edited by: jtech

0 Kudos
jtech201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't have the 'poor performance after resuming' -problem with Ubuntu 11.04 Host system. It's limited only to Windows Hosts.

Lamaay and Shillerua, what GPU do you have?

0 Kudos
Shillerua
Contributor
Contributor

AMD 760G integrated to ASUS M3A76-CM motherboard

0 Kudos
Shillerua
Contributor
Contributor

it is not reproduced if i disable Accelerate 3D graphics in vm properties for windows 7 guest. tried wddm virtual video card and svga.

unfortunately it doesnt help with windows XP guests.

0 Kudos
Shillerua
Contributor
Contributor

interesting, it is not reproduced on windows 8 guest which is set to be a windows 7 64 bit.

vmware, where are you?

0 Kudos
zzone
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly same issue here!!!

I upgrade VM Workstation 8 from 7.1.4. When powering on from power off state, everything is OK. But when resuming from suspended state, there's very poor graphics performance. This can be easily seen by dragging and moving a window. VMware Tools is up to date.

--

Host OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Host RAM: 8G

Host CPU: i7-2630QM.

Guest OS: Centos 5.7.

Guest RAM: 2.5G

0 Kudos
mikefitz_mf
Contributor
Contributor

Got same Problem with very poor Performance. And I have noticed, that my Guests starts much slower than in 7.1. Decreased from approx 8s to approx 40s on SSD. Hope it will be fixed soon. It's not funny to wait for any reaction of the Guests like Pentium 90 - Times.

HW: Thinkpad W520, Quadcore XM and Nvidia Primus

0 Kudos
jtech201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issues in the following thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/328669?tstart=0

Tab switching & resuming causes bad graphics performance.

0 Kudos
SoftRite2011101
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having poor overall performance after upgrading to 8... I may have to uninstall it if they don't provide a fix soon.

0 Kudos
mikefitz_mf
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

maybe I have a Workaround. Since I have changed the Properties in "Edit" - "Preferences" - "Display" from Autofit Guest to Autofit Window the Performance is normal. Means here: Much better! Try and tell me.

Mike

0 Kudos
TomHedgepeth
Contributor
Contributor

Another work around that seems to have worked for me.

Windows 7 64 host with a Windows 7 32 bit VM. The "System" in the guest would spike the cpu and pretty much kill the machine. I disabled the High Definition Audio device on the guest and it has been running better since then.

0 Kudos