VMware Communities
Bamdad63
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Workstation 8 Installation

Hi,

I just tried to install the trail version of the Workstation 8. I get a message this software cannot be installed on this computer because of hardware and soft wrare. I have a PC loded with Intell Pentium 4  with two processsors 2.9 GHz speed.  2.5 GB of Ram and more that 10 GB space on the partition. The operating system is Window XP PRO SP3 . Also I am able to install the 64 Bit operating system on this machine. Can anybody tell me why?

Best regards

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ImranMogal
Contributor
Contributor

Host System Requirements

The physical computer on which you install Workstation is called the host system and its operating system is

called the host operating system. To run Workstation, the host system and the host operating system must

meet specific hardware and software requirements.

Processor Requirements for Host Systems

You must install Workstation on a host system that meets certain processor requirements.

Supported Processors

The host system must have a 64-bit x86 CPU that meets the following requirements.

n

LAHF/SAHF support in long mode

n

1.3GHz or faster core speed

Multiprocessor systems are supported.

When you install Workstation, the installer performs checks to make sure the host system has a supported

processor. You cannot install Workstation if the host system does not meet the processor requirements.

Processor Requirements for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems

The operating system that runs inside a virtual machine is called the guest operating system. To run 64-bit

guest operating systems, the host system must have one of the following processors.

n

An AMD CPU that has segment-limit support in long mode

n

An Intel CPU that has VT-x support

If you have an Intel CPU that has VT-x support, you must verify that VT-x support is enabled in the host system

BIOS. The BIOS settings that must be enabled for VT-x support vary depending on the system vendor. See the

VMware knowledge base article at

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003944 for information about how to determine

if VT-x support is enabled.

0 Kudos
Bamdad63
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. Let assume I am going to purchase a new PC. Can you name me any Intel Premium 4 which will have the Spec you are referring to. I am pretty sure that most of the sale person do not have enough knowledge to give me this information.

Best regards

0 Kudos