stonevil
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion 4 doesn't support Lion full screen mode

Hi,

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/migrate.html

"Designed for OS X Lion"

This is not true!

VMware Fusion 4 doesn't support Lion full screen mode!

Please fix this!

Thank you,

Myroslav.

0 Kudos
37 Replies
Idstein
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. Indeed this is a huge disappointment as VMWare Fusion 3 already offered a quite impressive full screen mode.

VMWare Fusion 4 does currently not support the Lion feature full screen apps.

Please VMWare fix this tiny but useful feature.

For now I got with a solution from here:

http://www.redmondpie.com/maximizer-tweak-adds-full-screen-support-to-unsupported-apps-in-os-x-lion/

0 Kudos
vslavik
Contributor
Contributor

Don't hold your breath.

This was drawn to VMware's attention during the beta more than a month ago, quite a few people asked for it. No reply from VMware. And the shipping version comes with the same poor semi-working Fusion 3 implementation. Frustrating 😞

0 Kudos
feamster
Contributor
Contributor

But does ver 4 still have the ver 3 full screen mode?  I was happy with that since it was easy to minimize on demand.

0 Kudos
PlanetWilson
Contributor
Contributor

I'd be careful what you wish for. Especially if you use multiple monitors. Lion's fullscreen app mode just doesn't work correctly with more than one monitor. If VMWare introduce this then they need to also give an option for legacy fullscreen mode for multiple monitors.

Just look over in the Parallels forums at people screaming because they *did* implement Lion full screen mode...

0 Kudos
stonevil
Contributor
Contributor

This is Microsoft way for "resolve" problem.

Push Apple to fix fullscreen mode in Lion for multiply monitors. I send mail to OS X team and Tim Cook about this problem.

Do not resolve this problem on applications level! This is wrong way!

0 Kudos
realpdm
Contributor
Contributor

Agreee, very disappointed. I don't particular like Lion's way of handling spaces, but you dont have much choice but to use it. Having to create a new space, move fusion windows there, then full screen is extremely irritating.

Please add normal Lion full screen app handling.

I gave up on Parallels years ago , shortly after Fusion came out. but I think I'll have to try the parallels evaluation before paying for Fusino 4 upgrade. 😞

0 Kudos
MrB201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys,

We really could do with the fullscreen being Lion-ized; at least once Apple sort out their end (ie the dual monitor problem)

To be honest I feel abit cheated over this one Smiley Sad

Also it now feels really un-intuative because Lion is doing it one way and Fusion another... So going to full screen is similiar to Lion (but not the same) but going from fullscreen to single is pretty weird Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
wtm201110141
Contributor
Contributor

What really angers me is that they are touting "native" Lion support and went so far as to make the full screen button look like the native button. This is misleading at best. Native full screen mode was my primary reason for upgrading and I intend to demand a refund.

0 Kudos
werpu
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure where the problem is?

Apples Full screen mode is technically inferior to the solution VMWare has. And the speed probably will be the same for both modes.

Unless apple has fixed its end I can live with VMWares solution.

There is so much stuff broken in Lion that the broken full screen is one of the minor issues this os release has.

0 Kudos
wtm201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion's full sceeen mode doesn't automatically get a dedicated space (as others have pointed out in this thread). And it is inconsistent with apps that do support native full screen. Consistency is a big deal for many Mac users.

0 Kudos
werpu
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to become off topic. But consistency is relative even on OSX, Apple constantly has a history to break consistency left and right.

The prime example in Lion are the Calendar app and the Contacts app. Also Quicktime has a 20 year track record of breaking ui guidelines and itunes also to a very big degree.

Also stuff like launchpad breaks consistency to a big degree.

VMWare simply does it more or less in the old way to do full screen. Many apps have done that like that in the past and some will do for forseeable time. I really cannot understand the whining, except for the spaces argument.

0 Kudos
Idstein
Contributor
Contributor

Honestly, I'm kind of a lazy MacOS user and I really like touch events. Swiping between spaces is one example for instance.

In my opinion swiping is more convenient than VMWare fullscreen mode as it hides or overlays on your working application. There's no clear separation between your own desktop and a VM. I personally use more than one VM (e.g. server and client VM) and still want to use desktop apps like OmniGraffle or Lotus Notes (yes bad example).

The VMWare full-screen mode seems to suited for a single virtual machine not mutliple. If you every have the chance to compare the most recent Parallels Desktop for Mac and VMWare Fusion 4 you will notice their integration looks and feels quite more intuitiv and Lion-like.

However, at work it's not option for me to switch the vendor. Please VMWare go for that feature request and help us!

0 Kudos
steve76
Contributor
Contributor

stonevil schrieb:

This is Microsoft way for "resolve" problem.

Push Apple to fix fullscreen mode in Lion for multiply monitors. I send mail to OS X team and Tim Cook about this problem.

Do not resolve this problem on applications level! This is wrong way!

+ 1

0 Kudos
Acco
Contributor
Contributor

I have to agree, I was really looking forward to 'true' Lion full screen support, primarily as I often run multiple VMs which are a pain to create/kill new desktops for. Locking Fusion to a single desktop means using Expose to cycle between VMs and that can be a pain - Lion full screen spaces would really help. It's not a showstopper but when I read phrases like "even more Mac like", that's the kind of attention to detail I expect.

Thanks for continuing support of a great product though - I know negative feedback can be painful to read and devs rarely get the appreciation they deserve.

0 Kudos
clueless87
Contributor
Contributor

I was really dissapointed with this too, however there is a very simple way round this that doesn't need any additional software installed.

All I have done is put my vm in a new space and assigned it to that space. Then by using VMWare's built in fullscreen mode Windows shows up nicely fullscreen on a space that I can swipe to and from!

Heres a wee guide I knocked up with screenshots!:

http://fadeinfuture.net/VMWARElion/

Hope it is actually what you guys mean!

Ewen

0 Kudos
Acco
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! That's kind of what I've been doing. Trouble is, sometimes I run 1 VM, sometimes 2 or 3 so I'm often left with empty spaces that 'true' full screen would have removed automatically. Nice tutorial though - I'm sure it'll help clear this up for many people.

0 Kudos
vslavik
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, others said that before. It's annoying to have to set up a new space (or spaces), when it's normally just a single click operation.

Worse yet, Fusion 4's fullscreen mode isn't 100% reliable. Just as with Fusion 3, it sometimes (when resuming a previously fullscreen VM from windowed library view or when switching from another app, but not always) happens that the menubar stays visible on top of the guest, partially obscuring it, and is hard to get rid off. There are other bugs, too: within the first hour of using Fusion 4 final, I managed to enter a weird state of Fusion when neither Ctrl-arrows nor swipes would work for moving away from the swipe and had to cycle to and from windowed mode to fix it. Not to mention the nonstandard topbar (that is either too small to hit easily with mouse if it's autohiding or it keeps obscuring the view if it's always on). Lion's normal fullscreen gives you access to the full menubar and toolbar in an easier to use way and works reliably.

0 Kudos
clueless87
Contributor
Contributor

Very true, finger crossed that they sort this out soon.

To be honest, when I read "Built for Lion" or whatever they say, this is essentially the only feature I imagined, such a shame its been left out!

Edit: I too had some odd behavior with Fullscreen mode when I first started off but it seams to be behaving it's self now!

0 Kudos
AMacUser2011101
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the fix, as usual the obvious is hidden from sight, hopefully it will work into the future.

0 Kudos