VMware Horizon Community
goolong
Contributor
Contributor

vmware view 5 support for linux/Debian guest?

Is there an agent yet for Linux  especially Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.  With Android developement picking up speed, we have a real need to have our (100) developers.  the main thing that is needed for us is USB redirection to the guest from the client running  XP/7 or even a Thin client for them to download kernels to our hardware connected to the client.   Thanks!  If anyone knows of other solutions , it would really be appreciated.

0 Kudos
33 Replies
nalfonso14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No agent for linux yet, and View 5 I do not think that is supported...

I've tried an alternative: used Wine, a Windows emulator for Linux to get the View Agent running... I tried it and it works... no probe with composer..

Nicolas Alfonso Sr Virtualization Architect ***Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.***
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Nalfonso, please post how you got the View client to work under Wine, tried a few times but could not get it to work...

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
nalfonso14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Linjo!, befor to install vmware view agent in linux with WINE, need install Xrdp to connect via Remote Desktop port 3389. is very important to set linux with Windows Authentication.. I did this test a year ago with Red Hat Linux, is not an easy task, but it works perfect

Nicolas Alfonso Sr Virtualization Architect ***Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.***
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I do not think its that easy, have tried a few times and its not straight forward.

Could you be more detailed? For example, how did you get around the dependency problem?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
nalfonso14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not remember .. these days I'll make a lab and send "how to" to you inbox..

0 Kudos
peter_rudolf
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nalfonso14,

Can you give me also the Informationen. We have a Customersituation where he will exactly this solution.

Thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
royberk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Im intersted in seeing how this is accomplished as well.

Although I understand more or less how you want to do this, Id like to get a detailed doc to see exactly how its done.

Thank you

0 Kudos
goolong
Contributor
Contributor

well, i installed wine on my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.   when trying to install the agent i get quite a few errors in the console with vmware view agent asking for reboot.  I already ran a wineboot, wineserver -k.   Wine configuration is currently set to Windows XP. And followed the vmware article on checking the registry.  Still no luck.   Error Below

bash-4.1# wine VMware-viewagent-4.6.0-366101.exe

fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"root" (nil) 0x32bf90 (nil 0x32bf94 0x32bf88 -stub

fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"root" (nil) 0x1ccd58 0x32bf90 0x1cd328 0x32bf94 0x32bf88 -stub

fixme:ver:RtlGetProductInfo (6,0,0,0,0x112e69c): stub

fixme:msi:MSIGetMode unimplemented run mode: 7

err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"VM_MustReboot" returned 1602

I am able to addUbuntu VM to ViewManager by changing the OS information inside Vsphere, now its just waiting for an agent.

So any step by step directions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
johnhearns
Contributor
Contributor

Nalfonso,

I too would be very interested in a howto or a writeup on how you got this working.

John Hearns

0 Kudos
lisa66
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I very interest by your "how to"

Would you like to send it to me.

Thanks

Lisa

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

There is an Ubuntu client "in the wild", and I don't mean the open source one.

Just Google "vmware-view-client_4.5.0-293049"

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Jase, we are talking about the agent, not the client.

// Linjo

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

I guess I missed that piece...

Sorry

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
JohnVUB
Contributor
Contributor

I second the request: we are waiting for years to get this...

I have to fight with teachers in our university every year again: why is there only a windows available in the view client on or thinclients.

They are always pushing me to say goodbye to vmware and arrange a system where windows and linux desktops are offered.

VMWARE: make ubuntu desktops available via the viewmanager ASAP pls. It can't be rocketscience...?

0 Kudos
goolong
Contributor
Contributor

Well, i still havent figured out how to get the view agent running under wine with Ubuntu.  It might be different with Linux.  Though at the moment, the company where i work is doing a POC with Virtual Bridges and Pilot for our 100 users by the end of year.  We have over 700 systems in our location alone, and plan to roll it out country wide if it all works out, which is about 3000 desktops in the US.  I'll write up another post on how well USB redirection works with Virtual Bridges as it's not natively supported with debian but according to them its just a coding port to get it working.

0 Kudos
johnhearns
Contributor
Contributor

I will second the request also.

Linux View Agent please.

0 Kudos
sporkina
Contributor
Contributor

i have the solution toget usb redirect to work on ubuntu running the hp vmware view broker 4.5 or 4.6. It took be over a month to figure it out and it turns out its only 3 command to get it to work flawlessly.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12... - hp vmware view broker, its for thier thin client which runs a version of debian which means you can easily install in on ubuntu.

0 Kudos
samout
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm interessing about how you do to get the View Agent running in linux with Wine. Please post how you got the View client to work under Wine.

Thanks in advance.

sam

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

goolong,

Just curious, how did the proof of concept go for Virtual Bridges?

0 Kudos