1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2011 7:58 AM by Mezlo

vSphere 5 compatability?

Mezlo Novice

is ghettoVCBg2 currently compatible with vSphere  5? If not, is there an estimated timeline for when it will be?

• 1. Re: vSphere 5 compatability?
          MauroBonder Champion
          User ModeratorsVMware Employees

Yes. supports.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8760

ghettoVCB.sh - Free alternative for backing up VM's for ESX(i) 3.5, 4.x+ & 5.x - Updated 06/28/2011

Support for ESXi 5.0 NEW!

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

• 2. Re: vSphere 5 compatability?
            Mezlo Novice

That is ghettoVCB, not ghettoVCBg2.

• 3. Re: vSphere 5 compatability?
              MauroBonder Champion
              VMware EmployeesUser Moderators

Ok Sorry. Wrong post

Not is supported yet.

i don´t have any prevision. May lamw can answer this question.

• 4. Re: vSphere 5 compatability?
                lamw Guru
                VMware EmployeesCommunity Warriors

No timelines at the moment, I just haven't had the time. I suspect if you know what to edit, you can easily make it support vSphere 5, there arne't a whole lot of changes that would impact the script.

• 5. Re: vSphere 5 compatability?
                  Mezlo Novice

Thanks for the reply. I completely understand you being busy and greatly appreciate all the work you've put into these scripts. I like them a lot better than Symantec Backup Exec and VMware Data Recovery.

I tried getting ghettoVCBg2 working under vMA 5 (vCenter and ESXi hosts are still 4.1) but didn't get far. First I had to modify the script so it would run under vMA 5.0.0 (I just duplicated the 4.1.0 elsif). But when I run it I get this error:

"Vim::get_service_content called, but no global session is defined at /home/vi-admin/ghettoVCBg2/ghettoVCBg2.pl line 287"

I know next to nothing about Perl and Google didn't seem to help any.

Mez

• 6. Re: vSphere 5 compatability?
                    vmbru Enthusiast

ghettoVCBg2 is great, VMware Data Recovery 2.0 is out now, it's better, still have to babysit it but not as bad anymore as in the days of version 1.0

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/Whats-New-VMware-Data-Recovery-20-Technical-Whitepaper.pdf

• 7. Re: vSphere 5 compatability?
                      Mezlo Novice

What I like about ghettoVCBg2 is I don't need any type of special environment to restore them. I can take the backup drive, plug it into any ESXi host, import the VMs and they'll work. I know it is a "crash consistent" backup, but I test restore all of my VMs monthly and they have always come up without issues.

As for file-level restores, I just temporarily add the necessary backup vmdk to my tech VM, copy the files, then remove the vmdk.

• 8. Re: vSphere 5 compatability?
                        MillardJK Enthusiast
                        vExpert

There are 4 locations in the script that check for the version, not just one.

I did a global search/replace as follows, and it immediately worked for my initial testing. I need to run a full backup to validate my assertion, but because I didn't see any big changes in the API between 4.1 and 5.0 (especially for the calls that William has implemented), it should work.

($vima_ver eq "4.1.0") --> ($vima_ver eq "4.1.0" || $vima_ver eq "5.0.0")

• 9. Re: vSphere 5 compatability?
                          Mezlo Novice

After making the additional changes I was able to backup a VM without issue. I will do a full backup tonight and see how it goes. If all goes well then I will start upgrading vCenter and my ESXi hosts to 5.0.0.

I can't believe I overlooked something as simple as not checking the vMA version in multiple places. Thanks for your help.

Mez

• 10. Re: vSphere 5 compatability?
                            Mezlo Novice

OK, it works when I run it manually. However, I can't get it to run under cron. Here's the errors cron emails me:

Can't load '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/libvmatargetlib_perl.so' for module vmatargetlib_perl: libtypes.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory at /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 203.
                            at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/VMware/VmaTargetLib.pm line 10
                            Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/VMware/VIFPLib.pm line 9.
                            BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/VMware/VIFPLib.pm line 9.
                            Compilation failed in require at /home/vi-admin/ghettoVCBg2/ghettoVCBg2.Thursday.pl line 16.
                            BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/vi-admin/ghettoVCBg2/ghettoVCBg2.Thursday.pl line 16.

Any ideas why cron would pop this error but running it manually doesn't?

Mez

• 11. Re: vSphere 5 compatability?
                              MillardJK Enthusiast
                              vExpert

Which user is running the cron job? Should make sure it's running under the vi-admin context.

• 12. Re: vSphere 5 compatability?
                                Mezlo Novice

It was running under vi-admin. I just figured out a work around for it: I added "source /etc/bash.bashrc" to my wrapper script. Not sure exactly which variable is needed to make  it work though.

Mez

• 13. Re: vSphere 5 compatability?
                                  Dagnabbit Novice

I am out of the office Friday, Oct 7th, and will return to the office on Monday, Oct 10th.

Thank you,

Ben Gray

1 2 Previous Next