VMware Cloud Community
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VI 5 Client

I downloaded the new VI Client (build 4559654) but it doesn't appear to be any different, including the version number.

I uninstalled and reinstalled but I don't see any difference, anyone else see this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ok, finally got it installed and this is what I see.  I'm connecting to vCenter 4.1U1 with the new client.  You are right, it didn't change. Maybe you need to connect to a vSphere5 instance??

1816840.png

Screen shot from Programs and Features

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

what do you mean by difference?  The 5.0 client will have build 455964.  Do you not see that refrlected when you connect to vCenter or an ESX(i) host?

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Troy Clavell wrote:

what do you mean by difference?  The 5.0 client will have build 455964.  Do you not see that refrlected when you connect to vCenter or an ESX(i) host?

Yeah that's what I mean.. I doesn't reflect anything but it could be my system, not ruling that out.  Just wanted to know if anyone sees any difference..

Did you try to install it, and notice any changes?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the build number you see when you connect to vCenter Server or an ESXi host is not the build number of the vSphere Client. It's the one of vCenter Server or the ESXi hosts!?

André

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i'm installing now... Let me see if I can see what you see Smiley Happy

RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

André Pett wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the build number you see when you connect to vCenter Server or an ESXi host is not the build number of the vSphere Client. It's the one of vCenter Server or the ESXi hosts!?

André

There has always been 2 build numbers.  One for the client and one for the server.  Help / About clearly shows there is a build number for the client, but it's not changed.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well apparently it's treating 4.1 servers like 4.0 client did with 3.x ESX servers, you have to use a different installer.  So I won't be able to test this until I setup ESX 5 or vCenter 5.. I thought it was weird that I didn't see any difference, now I know why.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ok, finally got it installed and this is what I see.  I'm connecting to vCenter 4.1U1 with the new client.  You are right, it didn't change. Maybe you need to connect to a vSphere5 instance??

1816840.png

Screen shot from Programs and Features

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Troy Clavell wrote:

Yes, but in another thought, doesn't the new vSphere vCenter/Server have a fully qualified WEB? We shouldn't need the new client anyway.. I am guessing..

Right?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

RParker wrote:

Yes, but in another thought, doesn't the new vSphere vCenter/Server have a fully qualified WEB? We shouldn't need the new client anyway.. I am guessing..

Right?

That is correct.  The WebUI for vSphere5 is quite slick!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

IMO it correctly displays the Version and Build numbers. No matter which vSphere Client version you launch, the launcher will switch over to the one needed for the target. In this case the target is vSphere 4.1 so it will use the vSphere Client 4.1.

Once connected to vCenter Server 5.0 or ESXi 5.0 the displayed versions/builds should be the ones for the vSphere Client 5.0

André

0 Kudos
Baddos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware loads the matching client version depending on the host/vcenter you are connecting to. So even if you open the 5.0 client and try to connect to say a 4.0 host, it will look on your computer for the 4.0 client and open that instead.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

André Pett wrote:

IMO it correctly displays the Version and Build numbers. No matter which vSphere Client version you launch, the launcher will switch over to the one needed for the target. In this case the target is vSphere 4.1 so it will use the vSphere Client 4.1.

Once connected to vCenter Server 5.0 or ESXi 5.0 the displayed versions/builds should be the ones for the vSphere Client 5.0

André

YES, but the version displayed WHILE connected to pre v5 still shows the old version..  I did manage to configure vCenter Appliance (which is REALLY nice BTW) and v5 client shows correct build.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

YES, but the version displayed WHILE connected to pre v5 still shows the old version.

That's correct. When connecting to a per v5 vCenter or host, the launcher checks the target and then launches the appropriate vSphere Client version. If you take a look at the vSphere Client's installation folders you will find the different folders for each installed version.

André

0 Kudos