7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2011 8:13 PM by chorgeas

How to Add software during creation of Virtual appliance?

kirman Lurker

Hello,

I have question about adding software during creation of virtual appliance via VMware Studio 2.5.

I want to use SLES linux and then add some extra software that can't be install via shell scripts. Then do some configuration on it and I need some graphical and shell access to the running machine to do this. But Creation of Profile only allows me to prepare installation shell scripts. After preparation of my Profile, I can Build the machine but during this acction there is no possibility to add any other software.

I am wondering how people do those kind of things. How they add and configure their software?

In simplest words I want to stop building proces just before migrating machine back to VM Studio and add some stuff and configuration by myself. Is there anyway to do this ? Or, am I using proper tool (vmware studio 2.5) ? Or, am I thinking in right way ?

• 1. Re: How to Add software during creation of Virtual appliance?
          chorgeas Hot Shot

You can create rpm of your application package and keep it in /opt/vmware/www/ISV/appliancePackages/ folder. VMware Studio will install it automatically. Please go through the documentation which will explain how to create rpm.

In rpm's spec file, you can specify %pre and %post section to install and configure your application

Following is the link for documentation.

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/studio/

Please let me know if you need more information.

• 2. Re: How to Add software during creation of Virtual appliance?
            kirman Lurker

But, I don't want to do all the things automaticly. I want to do some configuration manually. For example I have application which requires me to: install via gui and do the configuration through web interface (add conection, create profiles, perform some scans and then use the collected data to prepare another configuration of another program). Manulally through  GUI can take an hour. But preparing the shell scripts will take too long. So is it really impossible?

• 3. Re: How to Add software during creation of Virtual appliance?
              chorgeas Hot Shot

1. VMware Studio creates a default Virtual Appliance (VA) in JEOS (Just enough operating system) format, which does not contain GUI (KDE or GNOME). So if you want GUI then you have to explicitly add GUI packages in Application tab.

2. During VA build process it is nearly impossible to configure VA manually. But I will come back to you on this point. There is one way to give sleep time in build process and in that mean time you can access that VA and do your task. But in this case you might not get all features (advantages) of VMware Studio. like VA update facility.

• 4. Re: How to Add software during creation of Virtual appliance?
                kirman Lurker

Installation  of GUI is not a problem at all. I've already done it by checking the checkbox in VMWare Studio. But appropriate question is: how to put to sleep migration process and add some configuration manualy (from vm system console or ssh)? Or maybe I should do this totally diferent way?

I found two other ways to create virtual Aplicance:
                Import existing VM machine through CLI (VMware Studio)
                convert existing VM machine via vCenter Converter plugin or Converter Standalone (option avaliable at Converter Standalone version 4.0.1 but not avaliable in 4.3, why ?)

• 5. Re: How to Add software during creation of Virtual appliance?
                  chorgeas Hot Shot

You can put the sleep command maybe in the Application Post-Install Script section.

or

Put a loop in the Post-Install Script that waits until a specific file exists (like /tmp/done, for example). The loop can sleep 5 so it doesn't hog the CPU. Then when the manual work is done, just do touch /tmp/done

One thing I would like to tell you is, VMware Studio is mainly designed for automating build process not for manual process.

> Installation  of GUI is not a problem at all. I've already done it by checking the checkbox in VMWare Studio.

If you are talking about the checkbox which is present under Application Tab->VMware Tools->Install Packages for X.

If checked then VMware tools for X will be installed in the VM and not GNOME or KDE.

If you want to install GNOME or KDE then you need to specify packages under Application Tab->List  of packages from OS install media area.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to Add software during creation of Virtual appliance?
                    cpsgoden Lurker

I knew that VMware Studio has ability to support users to delploy appliance package.

But if I pre-installed my appliance on an existing VM and build from this existing VM, this new build can be a virtual appliance?

• 7. Re: How to Add software during creation of Virtual appliance?
                      chorgeas Hot Shot

As per my knowledge Yes. But you wont get VMware Studio's all features into your Virtual Appliance. like, Virtial Appliance update facility.