VMware Horizon Community
btrabue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thinapp not writing to sandbox when logged in as standard user

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 thinapped and when a standard user in Windows 7 opens it they are presented with the following error...

"Licensing for this product has stopped working".

I did some digging and found out that it is working fine on all XP VM's just not on the Windows 7 ones.  Also, the only users that it is working fine for are administrators.  The rest of the users are standard users.

When the standard users open the thinapp nothing is wrote to the sandbox.  When the administrator opens the same thinapp on the same VM I have noticed that the application writes to the sandbox and they don't receive the licensing error.  I've checked for read/write permissions and they have access to write to the folder.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?  If you need more information please let me know.  Thanks!!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
doofkopf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

do you have other V-Scanner roules for the Users?

Where is the Sandbox on the  Filesystem?

Maybe there are Folderredirections of the Sanbox?

0 Kudos
btrabue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, we don't have any V-Scanner rules set for the users.

The sandbox is located on the User Data Disk.  We do have folder redirection enabled but not for the Apps folder.  It stays on the UDD.  

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

- post deleted -

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Your question was for Adobe Acrobat Pro 9, my last post does not stand correct for that, sorry for the confusion.

Now can you confirm what language is Adobe using? Is it German Adobe as I have seen some issue with that. Additionally can you tell the exact steps to reproduce it. Like are you able to launch it, when does the error message come.

0 Kudos
btrabue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The install is English.

I am able to open Adobe Acrobat and approx. 10 seconds later I get the "Licensing for this product has stopped working" screen.  See attached screen shot.

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>>it is working fine on all XP VM's just not on the Windows 7 ones.  Also, the only users that it is working fine for are administrators.  The rest of the users are standard users.

In this case, can you try capturing it on windows 7 and check it works on what platforms (XP & Win7). Update here and we may be able to help you further.

0 Kudos
btrabue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did find out today that I need to disable UAC in Windows 7.  That alone did not completely fix it.  I also had to log into the VM as an administrator and run the Adobe thinapp.  I then had the user log in and run it.  There were no errors and it ran fine.  Is there somewhere in the Package.ini to edit or add that will allow the thinapp to run regardless if an admin or a standard user is logged in?

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No; there is nothing as such currently. You may try setting its compatibility mode to XP.(Which is as same as disabling UAC)

additionaly log a ticket with VMWare Supprt so that this can be investigated.

0 Kudos
etrn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Setting the entry point to be "Windows XP SPx" compatible will fix the issue, however it isn't an elegant solution to ask users to change the compatibility mode.

In your project folder, go into %Program Files Common%\Adobe\Adobe PCD and in that directory, open ##Attributes.ini and change the directory isolation mode from Full to Merged. Within the Adobe PCD directory, open the cache directory and its ##Attributes.ini file to change the directory isolation mode from Full to Merged. Save all the files and rebuilt your project.

This solved the issue for me of Acrobat running in WIndows XP but not running in Windows 7.

ThinApp 4.6.2

Adobe Acrobat Standard/Pro 9.4.6

0 Kudos
stevedolphin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks etrn, that PCD folder change seems to have fixed this for me, fingers crossed!

0 Kudos