11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 4:06 PM by dzint

Scripted linked-cloning & pseudo-LabManager with PowerCLI

Enthusiast

I am setting here a place for questions/discussions regarding the scripts I published on the vmutils blog.

However, if you don't have a communities account you can post your question on the blog (doesn't require account).

I suggest you run "# Set-ExecutionPolicy bypass" in the PowerCLI shell before using the scripts to avoid having to answer questions every time you use them. For more info see this and this

• 1. Re: Scripted linked-cloning & pseudo-LabManager with PowerCLI
          jbrowne Expert
          VMware Employees

Running the .\NLclonePodsofVapp.ps1 keeps asking me to confirm Security Warnings

PowerCLI C:\training\PowerCLI\Scripts\ClonevApps> .\NLclonePodsofVapp.ps1 SRM-Base-Config SRM50-Student 1

Security Warning
          Run only scripts that you trust. While scripts from the Internet can be useful, this script can potentially harm your computer.
          Do you want to run C:\training\PowerCLI\Scripts\ClonevApps\NLclonePodsofVapp.ps1?
          [D] Do not run  [R] Run once  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "D"): R

vSwitch created

Security Warning
          Run only scripts that you trust. While scripts from the Internet can be useful, this script can potentially harm your computer.
          Do you want to run C:\training\PowerCLI\Scripts\ClonevApps\LcloneVapp.ps1?

Security Warning
          Do you want to run C:\training\PowerCLI\Scripts\ClonevApps\LcloneVM.ps1?

Name                 PowerState Num CPUs Memory (MB)
          ----                 ---------- -------- -----------
          SRM50-Student-Pod... PoweredOff 1        2048

MacAddress       : 00:50:56:01:00:cb
          WakeOnLanEnabled : False
          NetworkName      : SRM50-Student-Pod01
          Type             : e1000
          ParentId         : VirtualMachine-vm-208
          Parent           : SRM50-Student-Pod01-CEL-A
          Uid              : /VIServer=administrator@10.21.71.141:443/VirtualMachine=VirtualMachine-vm-208/NetworkAdapter=4000/
          ConnectionState  : NotConnected, GuestControl, StartConnected
          ExtensionData    : VMware.Vim.VirtualE1000
          Id               : VirtualMachine-vm-208/4000
          Name             : Network adapter 1

• 2. Re: Scripted linked-cloning & pseudo-LabManager with PowerCLI
            jbrowne Expert
            VMware Employees

Running the removeLclonePods

1. Does not list the switches to be deleted

2. Does not delete the vSwitch after the vApp is deleted

PowerCLI C:\training\PowerCLI\Scripts\ClonevApps> .\removeLclonePods.ps1 SRM50-Student-Pod

Do you want to delete from disk the following vApps and vSwitches?
            Note that the vSwitch should only be removed when ALL the Pods with the corresponding name are NOT going to be used anymore.

------ vApps -------------

Name
            ----
            SRM50-Student-Pod01

------ vSwitches ---------

Answer y/[n]?: y

• 3. Re: Scripted linked-cloning & pseudo-LabManager with PowerCLI
              Enthusiast

I am happy that you brought that out.

The vSwitch gets deleted if it gets found according with the argument you provided.

Let's say you created 2 Pods with

> .\NLclonePodsofVapp.ps1 SRM-Base-Line  SRM50-Student 2

If you try to remove using the command below you will target only that Pod, not touching the vSwitch.

> .\removeLclonePods.ps1 SRM50-Student-Pod01

Note that the vSwitch should only be removed when ALL the Pods with the corresponding name are NOT going to be used anymore.

Name
              ----
              SRM50-Student-Pod01

Answer y/[n]?: n

If you try to remove using the command below you will target the Pods that start with 0 (zero), not touching the vSwitch.

> .\removeLclonePods.ps1 SRM50-Student-Pod0

Name
              ----
              SRM50-Student-Pod01
              SRM50-Student-Pod02

And if you want to delete ALL the Pods AND the vSwitch, then you would give the same argument you used for the creation of the Pods, that is, you destroy the same thing you created;  SRM50-Student => SRM50-Student

> .\removeLclonePods.ps1 SRM50-Student

Name
              ----
              SRM50-Student-Pod01
              SRM50-Student-Pod02

vSwitch-Isolated-SRM50-Student

This is by design, because as indicated, the vSwitch should only be removed when the Pods connected to it are not going to be used anymore. So if you want to delete it, you will have to delete the Pods too.

• 4. Re: Scripted linked-cloning & pseudo-LabManager with PowerCLI
                Enthusiast

Because the name of a vSwitch has to be <32 characters, the size of the common name for the Pods has to be <32-17 , that is <15 characters.  (Update: This requirement has been relaxed on the version 5 of the scripts).

In the case below, the destination name (VSAManagerInstalled) is not <15 characters long.

This is the error you will get if you don't respect this restriction.

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI> .\NLclonePodsofVapp.ps1 Base--VSA-Installed  VSAManagerInstalled  4

New-VirtualSwitch : 01/09/2011 12:40:14    New-VirtualSwitch        A specified parameter was not correct.

At C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI\online.version_zip\NLclonePodsofVapp.ps1:106 char:41
                +     else {$vs = $vmhost | New-VirtualSwitch <<<<   -Name "vSwitch-Isolated-$cloneName"}
                    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-VirtualSwitch], InvalidArgument
                    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_VmHostServiceImpl_NewVirtualSwitch_ViError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.NewVirtualSwitch

vSwitch created
                New-VirtualPortGroup : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'VirtualSwitch'. The argument is null or empty. Supply an argument that is not null or empty and then try the command again.
                At C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI\online.version_zip\NLclonePodsofVapp.ps1:119 char:63
                +     foreach ($vs in $vslist){ $vpg =  $vs |  New-VirtualPortGroup <<<<   -Name "$cloneName-Pod$i" -vlanID $i; }
                    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [New-VirtualPortGroup], ParameterBindingValidationException
                    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.NewVirtualPortGroup

The VM: Student--VSA-Pod73-bVC_with_VSA_1.0_v6 has no snapshot. Exiting.
                New-VirtualPortGroup : Cannot validate argument on parameter 'VirtualSwitch'. The argument is null or empty. Supply an argument that is not null or empty and then try the command again.
                At C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\vSphere PowerCLI\online.version_zip\NLclonePodsofVapp.ps1:119 char:63
                +     foreach ($vs in $vslist){ $vpg =  $vs |  New-VirtualPortGroup <<<<   -Name "$cloneName-Pod$i" -vlanID $i; }
                    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [New-VirtualPortGroup], ParameterBindingValidationException
                    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.NewVirtualPortGroup

• 5. Re: Scripted linked-cloning & pseudo-LabManager with PowerCLI
                  Enthusiast

Today, while creating some Pods I had an error on VC (see attachment):

Add virtual switch

Operation failed, diagnostics report: Sysinfo error on operation returned status:

Limit exceeded. Please see the VMkernel log for detailed error information.

As instructed I checked the vmkernel and I found this:

2012-03-21T16:18:05.450Z cpu4:2846)WARNING: NetPortset: 708: Isolated-View.5.1_v4: too many ports on system already (4960, limit is 4608)
                  2012-03-21T16:18:05.450Z cpu4:2846)Uplink: 2411: Couldn't find UplinkPS Isolated-View.5.1_v4.
                  2012-03-21T16:18:05.450Z cpu4:2846)WARNING: Net: 1397: can't create portset: Limit exceeded
                  2012-03-21T16:21:17.922Z cpu8:133054)WARNING: NetPortset: 708: Isolated-View.5.1_v4: too many ports on system already (4960, limit is 4608)
                  2012-03-21T16:21:17.922Z cpu8:133054)Uplink: 2411: Couldn't find UplinkPS Isolated-View.5.1_v4.
                  2012-03-21T16:21:17.922Z cpu8:133054)WARNING: Net: 1397: can't create portset: Limit exceeded
                  2012-03-21T16:24:59.842Z cpu1:251796)WARNING: NetPortset: 708: Isolated-View.5.1_v4: too many ports on system already (4960, limit is 4608)
                  2012-03-21T16:24:59.842Z cpu1:251796)Uplink: 2411: Couldn't find UplinkPS Isolated-View.5.1_v4.
                  2012-03-21T16:24:59.842Z cpu1:251796)WARNING: Net: 1397: can't create portset: Limit exceeded

Apparently I hit the maximum number of ports.

I include some configuration maximums from the pdf.

It's incredible the massive overcommitment I can achieve with this little program in a very short period, while keeping freedom to modify anything anytime.

• 6. Re: Scripted linked-cloning & pseudo-LabManager with PowerCLI
                    detec Lurker

Hey Ruben,

today I saw your post vmutils Blog and it looks really good! I want to test it but I don't find the files which are shown in your video vmutils Blog: Using pseudo Lab Manager.

Could you please send me a link or PM where I could download your scripts? Thank you very much!

greetings from germany!

Michail

• 7. Re: Scripted linked-cloning & pseudo-LabManager with PowerCLI
                      jdmerrit Lurker

Hi Ruben,

Any idea when the scripts might be re-posted?  I've very interested to see how this works in my environment.

Thanks!

• 8. Re: Scripted linked-cloning & pseudo-LabManager with PowerCLI
                        tumbi1 Lurker

Hello Ruben,

I'm also looking for the scripts as this is a great idea for a particular use we have!

Cheers,

Mark.

• 9. Re: Scripted linked-cloning & pseudo-LabManager with PowerCLI
                          alfom888 Lurker

Hi Ruben,

Please could you send me the scripts to try.

Thanks,

Mars

• 10. Re: Scripted linked-cloning & pseudo-LabManager with PowerCLI
                            zach1008 Novice

Hi Ruben,

I would love to work with the script you have developed.  I have a use for this in our lab at a local career school and think this would be a perfect solution.

Thanks,

Zach

• 11. Re: Scripted linked-cloning & pseudo-LabManager with PowerCLI
                              dzint Novice

Thank you for your great job

Can i have a link for download the script ?

Best regards