VMware Horizon Community
KennyView
Contributor
Contributor

Backup of linked clones

Dear all,

I am running a vmware view 4.6 environment on ESX 3.5 update 5 taking backups of the virtual machines using symantec backup exec 2010 r2 with agent for virtual infrastructure installed.

Before recomping some virtual desktops (extra applications + installing of view 4.6 agents), i could succesfully backup these virtual machines. I now it's not relevant to backup replicas whoever it's easier for restore ...

After recomping, i get errors on these backups V-79-8192-38330 - The virtual machine has independent disks. The disks that are configured in an independent-persistent mode or independent-nonpersistent mode will not be backed up. --> Symantec warning

Indeed when I check the configuration of the agent of Symantec I see the difference between the old and new machines.

I know I can not backup virtual machines with RDM files using snapshot technology.

Any idea how I can backup complete virtual machines using the new structure of 4.6?

I can backup them as physical machines, whoever i am losing the functionalities of the virtual infrastructure agent in this way.

I know this is a symantec / vmware question but i try to understand why the vmware disks are suddendly changed in indepent disks since 4.6

Any input very welcome ...

before.jpg

after.jpg

0 Kudos
0 Replies