VMware Horizon Community
KennyView
Contributor
Contributor

Recompose is hanging

I am trying to recompose a single desktop, however the recompose task is hanging. I can not cancel the task. Even after restarting the view composer service, the task is still hanging.

When I pick another desktop, the recomposing works perfect.

Any idea how I can cancel this task?

Best regards,

Kenny

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Is the task showing up in vCenter or in View?

0 Kudos
KennyView
Contributor
Contributor

Meanwhile the task is cancelled by recomping the complete pool instead of recomposing a single desktop. However the same desktop still fails to recompose with the error message 

Could not find VC object of type VirtualMachine, and id vm-5133(please check the master VM/snapshot or its replica)

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Can you just delete the rouge VM?   One of the benefits of VDI in my opinion.    

0 Kudos
KennyView
Contributor
Contributor

The virtual machines is now assigned to a user, if I delete the virtual machine, what about my user disk?

The first time the user will connect, will vmware view automatically assign the existing user disk to the new available machine?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If you delete the VM you should have an option to archive the persistent disk.  You can then go into the persistent disk view and recreate the VM from there.   Since this would be your first time doing that it wouldn't be a bad idea to perform the functions with a test VM just so your familiar with the steps.  

0 Kudos
KennyView
Contributor
Contributor

I tested it with a test vm but i have the following message

These disks were archived from pools without vSphere mode and cannot be re-created.

I am running vmware view 4.6 based on esx 3.5 update 5, so I think i will not be able to use this option ..

Any other ideas how I can manually de-tach attach this user disk to a newly provisioned vm so I don't lose any user data?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Might have to do it the old fashioned way.   Copy the old persistent disk informaton off and just copy it on to the new persistent disk.  You should be able to test this option without deleting the other one.

0 Kudos
Rufat777
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. But can't delete the VM (Error deleting VM). The problem begins after changing the parent VM for pool. All VM's in pool are changed the parent VM with new snapshot but one of them is in error state. In inventory i see that this vm is pointed to old vm with old snapshot.

0 Kudos