VMware Cloud Community
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Switch NIC adapter type to VMXNET 3

Probably behind the curve here, but looking at changing adapter type from the older versions to VMXNET3 for some of the added performance benefits VMWare claims. I'm wondering who has all done this, what the results were? Any specific problems to look out for?

Looking at doing it on some of our SQL servers and our Exchange servers.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

look this kb and check if you are using correct type of network adapter and check if your vmware tools is installed.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100180...

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, I have read that article before. The vm's I'm looking at changing to that adapter type are on the compatible OS list, and my hosts are all compatible with that adapter type.

I guess I'm wondering if you should always use that adapter type on vm's with guest OS's that are compatible, or if there are scenarios where the other adapter types are more appropriate?

Are there other advantages of one adapter type over the other for specific machines?

Kevin

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I in specific, i follow those kb. In specific cases you use E1000 for cluster (example)

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert

We use VMXNET3 on just about everyting.... Other than os's that do not support VMXNET3 (win2k comes off the top of my head that doesnt)?...

We are on the last stages of a 400+ VM migration project (using doubletake) so once the VM is at the new datacenter, we typically power up, rip out the E1000, and pop in a new VMXNET3 adapter...

I havent run into any issues as of yet - only issues ive delt with are applications that are tied to a MAC....

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
Baddos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On our W2k8 IIS7 guests, switching from E1000 to VMXNET3 was night and day difference in performance.

trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the real world experiences guys, that is what I'm looking for...

Kevin

0 Kudos