VMware Cloud Community
WeeWee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Convert Physical Server (w/ HBA) to Virtual

Hello,

I need your help to convert a physical server connected to a HP Modular Storage Array 1000 through a HBA.

My doubt: what is the best practice to do this kind of convertion? When I select the physical server VMWARE converter will convert the storage to a virtual disk?

Thank you.

Pedro

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The big question is how large is the storage. ESX(i) have a limit on disk size (2TB minus 512 bytes). If the MSA1000 is less than 2TB you should be able to run converter and create the virtual server including the E: drive. If the MSA is larger than 2TB but the used space is less than 2TB converter will allow you to create shrink the disk.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Note: This discussion was moved from Forums to Converter.

Do you want to convert and have VMDK files?  What are you going to house this VM on, and what kind of storage is available?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
WeeWee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks and sorry for the wrong topic classification (newbie) Smiley Happy

I have a HP Proliant Dl360 G5 with Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 and SQL Server 2005 with reporting services running, connected to a HP MSA1000  through fibre channel. So, I need to know if the best way is to convert the drive E:\ to a vmdk file or to configure the new converted virtual machine to have access to the previous LUN (accessed by the "old" physical server).

Thank you.

Pedro

0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

This should take care of everything for you - the SAN disk will be created as a vmdk during the P2V process....

I personally use DoubleTake for these here at our office - but its not cheap... 

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

How is a SQL, in my opnion better solutions is converter Cold (Boot CD) http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102671...

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
runclear
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would just shut down SQL services during the conversion process... 

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
WeeWee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much. I'm enlightened now with your opinion.

I will consider cold convertion (boot cd) or just stop SQL Services during off peak hour.

Thank you again.

Pedro

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The big question is how large is the storage. ESX(i) have a limit on disk size (2TB minus 512 bytes). If the MSA1000 is less than 2TB you should be able to run converter and create the virtual server including the E: drive. If the MSA is larger than 2TB but the used space is less than 2TB converter will allow you to create shrink the disk.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos