VMware Cloud Community
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Disabling paths to migrate all FC storage connections to specified port on HBA

Hi

Do any PowerCLI guru's know a way to run a script to disable all the paths to a specified FC hba card port? I need to route all my storage to 1 port on my HBA so as to enable me to remove one of my storage switches and doing it via VC is painfully slow

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I had a closer look and I suspect that the port WWN is the best way to select the paths that are connected to a specific port.

The script becomes something like this

$tgtHBA = "vmhba1" 
$tgtPortWWN
= "5766023041194672011"
Get-VMHost
| Get-ScsiLun -LunType disk | where {$_.RuntimeName.Contains($tgtHBA)} | `
Get-ScsiLunPath | where {$_.Extensiondata.Transport.PortWorldWideName -eq $tgtPortWWN} | `
Set-ScsiLunPath
-Active:$false

To get an overview of the hosts, their HBAs, the targets and the port WWNs, you can do

foreach($esx in (Get-View -ViewType HostSystem -Property Name,Config.StorageDevice)){
    foreach($hba in $esx.Config.StorageDevice.ScsiTopology.Adapter){
        if($hba.Target){
            $hba.Target | Select @{N="VMHost";E={$esx.Name}},
                @{N="HBA";E={($esx.Config.StorageDevice.HostBusAdapter | where {$_.Key -eq $hba.Adapter}).Device}},
                Target,
                @{N="Port WWN";E={$_.Transport.PortWorldWideName}}
        }
    }
}

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Does this work for you ?

$tgtHBA = "vmhba1"
Get-VMHost | Get-ScsiLun -LunType disk | where {$_.RuntimeName.Contains($tgtHBA)} | `
Get-ScsiLunPath | Set-ScsiLunPath -Active:$false

Note that this will disable all paths. If you want to keep 1 or more paths active, you will have to select another selection criteria.

And that can be done via another where-clause

firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi Luc

Thanks for the response. It does work but as you said disables all paths whereas i need all the paths going to one of the FC HBA ports disabled while the others still enabled to allow me to keep the hosts all running and change over switch by switch.

For the second where clause what information would i need to put in?

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The Get-Host portion wont accept anything and keeps bring up an "unexpected token" error in powergui. I've tried the -name and numerous other options but it keeps saying unexpected token

Gregg

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The Get-VMHost error was most probably due to a <CR><LF> problem with the copy/paste of the code I did.

I corrected that, give it another try.

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I had a closer look and I suspect that the port WWN is the best way to select the paths that are connected to a specific port.

The script becomes something like this

$tgtHBA = "vmhba1" 
$tgtPortWWN
= "5766023041194672011"
Get-VMHost
| Get-ScsiLun -LunType disk | where {$_.RuntimeName.Contains($tgtHBA)} | `
Get-ScsiLunPath | where {$_.Extensiondata.Transport.PortWorldWideName -eq $tgtPortWWN} | `
Set-ScsiLunPath
-Active:$false

To get an overview of the hosts, their HBAs, the targets and the port WWNs, you can do

foreach($esx in (Get-View -ViewType HostSystem -Property Name,Config.StorageDevice)){
    foreach($hba in $esx.Config.StorageDevice.ScsiTopology.Adapter){
        if($hba.Target){
            $hba.Target | Select @{N="VMHost";E={$esx.Name}},
                @{N="HBA";E={($esx.Config.StorageDevice.HostBusAdapter | where {$_.Key -eq $hba.Adapter}).Device}},
                Target,
                @{N="Port WWN";E={$_.Transport.PortWorldWideName}}
        }
    }
}

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks Luc that worked a charm!

Gregg

0 Kudos
ibrarsajid1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've been scratching my head why when I'm targetting hba2 it works fine but when I target hba4, it doesn't work.. I've 4 ports, 2 on hba2 and 2 on hba4.. I can target both ports on hba2 but can't target the 2 ports on hba4. I need to return paths from each one of these and wondering why it doesn't work for hba4 when that exists.

This works:

$tgtHBA = "vmhba2"

$tgtPortWWN = "samplewwn:00"

$tgtNAA = "naa.samplenumberhere"

Get-VMHost | Get-ScsiLun -LunType disk | where {$_.RuntimeName.Contains($tgtHBA) -and $_.CanonicalName -eq $tgtNAA} | `

Get-ScsiLunPath | where {$_.SanID -eq $tgtPortWWN} | `

Set-ScsiLunPath -Active:$false

This doesn't work:

$tgtHBA2 = "vmhba4"

$tgtPortWWN2 = "samplewwn:11"

$tgtNAA2 = "naa.samplenumberhere"

Get-VMHost | Get-ScsiLun -LunType disk | where {$_.RuntimeName.Contains($tgtHBA2) -and $_.CanonicalName -eq $tgtNAA2} | `

Get-ScsiLunPath | where {$_.SanID -eq $tgtPortWWN2} | `

Set-ScsiLunPath -Active:$false

0 Kudos