VMware Cloud Community
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DRS Questions

Guys,

I curently have vCenter 4.1 running with 2 ESXi 4.0 hosts and they are in DRS enabled cluster.

The DRS is configured as fully automated and the migration threshold is set halfway between conservative and aggressive however it seems as if DRS wont actually do any load balancing at all unless its set to fully aggressive.  Has anyone come across this or anything similar before?

Thanks.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

DRS really does not do load balancing - what DRS does it insiures that the VMs in the cluster receive the necessary resoureces they are requesting - so you could have every VM in your DRS cluster running on one of the two hosts and as llong as that one host is able to deliver the necessary resources for the VMs DRS will not move any of them even with the migration threshold set to aggrressive

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
peter79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I get your point maybe I'm looking at DRS in the wrong way.  However I find it strange that DRS will only start moving VM's when its set to aggressive.  Please help!

0 Kudos