VMware Cloud Community
sergeadam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Network config and VLANs

I've inherited a network in a colo datacenter.

Current network has a Dell 2724 switch in un-managed mode. Servers using the 192.168.195.0/24 range.

A new install will have 3 vSphere hosts, 2 Dell Equalogic PS4000 and 2 Dell 6224 switches for redundancy.

The 6224 are segmented into VLANs.

The new setup was supposed to use 192.168.196.0/24 range.

VLAN 205 receives data from the colo's firewall and our 2724 switch.

On the 6224, port 2 goes to the old 2724 switch. It is a member of VLANs 205 and 405 set to Trunk, AdmitTaggedOnly.

ports 3-11 are designted for the VMs network traffic and are members of VLAN 405, set to Access, AdmitUntaggedOnly

We now want to virtualize the old servers on the new ESX hosts.

If I set my VM's IP to 192.168.196.xx, all is good, I have full network connectivity.

If I set to to 192.168.195.xx, I get no connectivity at all.

I can't see any IP range binding in the VLAN config.

I need to be able to carry both ranges on ports 3-11 because at this point I cant change the IPs of the old servers.

What I am missing????

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To allow multiple VLANs on the same physical switch ports you need to configure these switch ports as trunk ports, allowing both VLANs,. 205 and 405. On the ESX host, create two port groups on the "Virtual Machines" vSwitch - one for each VLAN - and set the appropriate VLAN-ID. This is called Virtual Switch Tagging (VST). For details see http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To allow multiple VLANs on the same physical switch ports you need to configure these switch ports as trunk ports, allowing both VLANs,. 205 and 405. On the ESX host, create two port groups on the "Virtual Machines" vSwitch - one for each VLAN - and set the appropriate VLAN-ID. This is called Virtual Switch Tagging (VST). For details see http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

André

0 Kudos
sergeadam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Much as I would have liked to not change switch settings, that was trhe easiest way to deal with it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos