VMware Cloud Community
kcy43ccwc
Contributor
Contributor

PowerCli with CPUID Mask Advance configuration

Hi,

How do I query a cluster to return a list of virtual machine which has CPUID Mask set to "Advanced"? I'm working on upgrading my whole cluster to ESX 4 and stumble into virtual machine which are unable to vMotion from ESX 3.5 to ESX 4 due to CPUID Mask Advance feature turned on. Hence, I'm thinking of using the script to generate a list of virtual machine and how do I configure it to Expose NX/XD configuration using PowerCLI? Thanks!

2 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Does this produce sufficient information ?

Or do you need to see the indivudal masks themselves as well ?

Get-View -ViewType VirtualMachine | Select Name,
    @{N="Advanced CPU";E={if($_.Config.CpuFeatureMask){"yes"}else{"no"}}}

Note that some guest will show up with yes while <Edit Settings>Options><CPUID Mask> will show all options as grayed out.

I haven't found out yet why this happens.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

kcy43ccwc
Contributor
Contributor

LucD, yeah, I do noticed that regardless of what setting is in my virtual machine's CPUID mask (advance/hide/expose) it would come up as "yes". Anyway, I had googled a bit further and found you actually have a script which reports about all these info  http://www.lucd.info/2010/05/13/nxxd-flag-setting-report/ however it seems to be buggy as when all my vm are of "expose", the report generated is accurate however, the moment I have a vm configured with advanced masking, the report generated would be inaccurate where some exposed would be should as null value. Anyway, thanks for the info provided. I have got the report out using a one liner to extract all the flags and did some massaging on the report. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos