VMware Horizon Community
nated201110141
Contributor
Contributor

View and Esx mixed environment upgrade

I just want to get some ideas from someone who has went through this particular situtation before. I have exp with esx(i) 3.5 through 4.1 U1 but not much VDI/View.

I have some hosts (ESX 3.5) in a HA cluster with vcenter 2.5. Also in the same cluster sits a View/VDI (3.1) manager and desktops. The licensing is confusing btw.

So I am putting in a brand new env. (ESXi 4.1 U1) with new SAN storage and upgrading the current licensing on the old cluster to ent plus etc ..

Plan to put up the new cluster and datastores, on a host or 2, migrate the VM's (convert to thin on the way) upgrade tools and hardware to version 7 (yes there are backups).

So the confusing part is that we have new licensing for the View (licenses are for 4.5 i believe) but I want to keep 2 hosts from the old cluster running the old VDI/view environment seemless as i wont have time to mess with it during upgrading 80 VM servers.

So does anyone have any suggestions or see something that i dont? Im a bit worried I will have license issues because I will bring the old hosts into the new vCenter to migrate the VM's. I dont have any spare hosts really the cluster is maxed out (HA would probably fail). Should i do the view env first would that make it easier? thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No.. this sequence is wrong..

The very first you should upgrade View Connection Server, so that it will be compatible with VC when it gets upgarde.

For a more details refer VMware View Upgrade Guide

0 Kudos
nated201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I am not upgrading I am installing a brand new environment. I want to use the old servers (esx 3.5) for the old view environment until I have time to upgrade the.

Right now there are mixed vm's in the cluster (servers and View desktops) I want to migrate the servers to the new hosts and leave the desktops on the old.

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I think moving servers to new environment should be ok. I would suggest to contact VMware for license related issues.

0 Kudos