VMware Horizon Community
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

View 4.6 and Windows 7 video performance

Hi all,

I have just upgraded to View 4.6. All my pools are working so that is good. The problem I have is that with my Linked-Clone VMs as well as my individual VMs when the user logs in to the VM from a thin client it takes longer for the display to appear than with View 4.0.1. Login times are taking about twice as long because of this. I am also experiencing this issue to a lesser extent on Windows XP SP3. Please help! What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Oh, here are a few more things:

1) I am using Wyse P20 thin clients

2) I have given my Windows 7 VM 128 MB of ram and I have tried both drivers: SVGAII and WDDM 3D drivers

3) On a dual monitor thin client after reconnecting to it the second monitors' resolution drops to 1024x768.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I would add another vCPU to see if that helps.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Please explain your reasoning. I did not have this problem before I upgraded to View 4.6. When I was using 4.0.1 with Win XP SP3 I was not getting long video delays during login. Now that I have upgraded to View 4.6 I am getting this issue with Windows 7 as well as XP. My VMs otherwise perform very well and are using 2 GB of RAM.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

So with Windows 7 there are no MMR that can help with the video-performance, all the videos will need to go thu the PCoIP encoding and will sometimes need more cpu-processing.

It is also very dependeing on what kind of video and how it is compressed.

When you think about it there will be only one vCPU doing video/audio decode and play, adding on the PCoIP algoithm and then everything else that is done on the vm.

From my experience another vCPU is the best way to remove the contstraints.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

My problem does not seem to be with rendering. Actually once I login the rendering performance is great. My problem is only duing logins to the VM. For some reason after upgrading to View 4.6 it takes twice as long to login to the VM and during this time the screen goes blank. That is why I fail to see why a second vCPU will help. Is there any way I my tune the View agent? Or should I be looking elsewhere? Thoughts?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Are you utilizing floating pools or persistent pools?   If your doing floating and the user has to create a profile each time they login it would cause a delay in login times.

I've also seen some things on google about  solid desktop backgrounds affecting the login time on Windows 7.

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

I am using persistent pools. That is the weird thing here. In spite of the user profile already existing I still experience this issue. Thanks for the try.

0 Kudos
DwayneL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

check to see the power polilcy on your vm and make sure the monitor doesn't go off.

-DL

-Dwayne Lessner
0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the reply, but the power settings are set to never power off the VM or go to sleep. The monitor is set to blank after 10 minutes. The problem that am describing involves the login process. For some reason my Windows 7 VMs take longer to login because the screen is black. Is this a Windows 7 thing?

0 Kudos
stimmons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My team has opened a ticket with Vmware with regards to the 4.6 agent.  There is a definate issue with the new agent as compared to previous versions.  In my opinion your not doing anything wrong. You don't have to add another vcpu or check power settings. 

We've easily reproduced the issue which is simple to do.  This issue affects XP or Windows 7. Log into one of your desktop pools with W7 or XP and then disconnect instead of logging out. Reconnect to that same pool and you'll experience a slowness that you didn't have before. You may even have a black screen for a few second before it either goes to the desktop or comes up with the control alt delete screen.This CAD screen is listed as a known issue and has a recommended modification on how to workaround it but it doesn't work effectively.

0 Kudos
dogray77
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a vendor working in an environment that is having the same issue.  The initial login through the view client results in a timely, normal session, but if we attempt a reconnect we get a black screen, and have to wait an additional 30 seconds or so before the Control+Alt+Delete screen shows up with the following options:

Log Off

Change a Password

Start Task Manager

If we hit cancel or press escape, we retrieve the desktop.

I don't have the view agent version in front of me, but the client version is 5.0.0.481677.

Do you have links for the workaround or any follow up on the ticket you submitted?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

0 Kudos