VMware Cloud Community
grob115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is my drive dead already?

Just saw the following screenshots on my vSphere client.  Can someone let me know:

1) If the two are related or they are referring to different things?

2) If they are related, why would a failure of one of the disks in a RAID 1 group be detected as a disconnection by ESX?

3) Is vSphere reporting an upcoming failure (drive isn't dead yet), or the drive is dead?

DriveFailure.jpgvolumeDisconnect.jpg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Grob,

It looks like one of your physical disks composing your RAID 1 group failed. And it produced a 20 second period of unavailability of your storage.

It's a strange behavior of such a redundant disk configuration. What RAID controller are you using? Check its configuration and verify that you use the latest firmware.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

i would bring the host know to check from the raid manager to ensure the the right faulted disk is being replaced asap ..

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert

Yeah on the first screenshot the drive comes up as predictive failure.  Get that drive replaced ASAP.

0 Kudos
grob115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay it's replaced.  Questions:

1) After 8 hrs I'm still seeing this.  Any idea why the bolded messages are not changing to indicate KS67 ONLINE?

I'm also not seeing the description RAID 1 Logical Volume .........

Is this due to the 2nd drive is still being re-built by the RAID controller?  Does it take that long even after 8 hrs already?

Before maintenance
Controller 0 (SAS6IR)
Drive 0 on controller 0 FW: KS67 - ONLINE
Drive 1 on controller 0 FW: KS67PREDICTIVEFAILURE
RAID 1 Logical Volume 0 on controller 0.  Drives(0,1) - OPTIMAL

After maintenance
Controller 0 (SAS6IR)
Drive 0 on controller 0 FW: KS67 - UNCONFIGURED GOOD
Logical Volume 0 on controller 0 -

PostMaintenance.jpg

2) So the text "PREDICTIVEFAILURE" actually means it's dead, not going to die?

3) The controller is a SAS6IR apparently.  Any idea if this is a good/bad controller?  Anyway I can check it's firmware from vSphere client?

0 Kudos