Just thought I would kick off a discussion with things we (our company, clients and prospects) would like to see in View 5.0:
- Local Drive Mapping - for users on the soft client, it would sometimes be handy to be able to map through to the local drives. Citrix and Microsoft allow this in their products, and because some of our clients are coming from a Citrix/TS/RDS world, the lack of this ability is often noticed.
- GPU virtualization - this is a big one. We often run into clients that require OpenGL support and this rules out View as a solution. Of course heavy AutoCAD and things like that will always be difficult in this environment, but we have seen clients that use software packages that require OpenGL for mundane tasks. Some examples include a Kitchen Cabinet refacer and a Flood Cleanup / Restoration company.
- Combine Internal and External VCS - the fact that we need to run two different VMs to allow internal and external PCoIP connections is maddening. Allowing external PCoIP connections in View 4.6 was a nice first step, but we really need to have this happen on a single VM.
- Improve USB Support - too many USB devices cause too many strange behaviors. Hit the eject button on a DVD drive and the session resets. Scan on a USB scanner and the DVM crashes. Again, there were improvements in firmware 3.3.x but this is an area that still needs a LOT of attention.
- Improve PCoIP Bandwidth Consumption on WANs - I'm a VMware Fan, I admit it...however PCoIP is still not ready for prime time. It has huge problems running across MLPPP links (bonded T1s). VMware Tech Support told me a few days ago that we needed to plan for "1.5 to 3.0mbps PER USER". Come on...that is just not realistic when other products (RDP, ICA, HDX, etc) do an admirable job with a fraction of the bandwidth. We have also seen situations where a single PCoIP endpoint can saturate a WAN link of, say 10mbps. No problem there. Fire up 10-15 end points and the best utilization we can get is 5-6mbps. The protocol seems to struggle when there are other PCoIP endpoints contending for the same bandwidth. I could go on and on with this one... PCoIP is just not yet ready for prime time.... It hurts to write that. I hope they improve SOON!
So, given the above... what are your comments? What would YOU like to see in VMware View 5.0?
I have the same question (0)