12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 2:05 AM by Cievo

Invalid Path

caryers Enthusiast

I am trying to ThinApp my backup application (HP's Data Protector). I am able to perform all steps of ThinApp process successfully with no issues.

However, when I attempted to scan the msi and add it to the ThinApp inventory, I get an invalid in the Name and status columns. I recreated the ThinApp package once before thinking it would resolve the issue, but the issue persist.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Thanks in advance... Scott

• 1. Re: Invalid Path
          Cievo Expert

What do you mean by scan and add it to the ThinApp inventory? Are you using View?

Have you tried to install MSI package? Maybe there is only problem with MSI headers.

• 2. Re: Invalid Path
            caryers Enthusiast

When I select my ThinApp repository, it scans the directories, then I select the new ThinApp directory I just copied up. When I select the MSI for the Data Protector application, thats when I get the Invalid Path listed under the Name and Status area.

I attempted to seperate times to create the ThinApp for this program.

• 3. Re: Invalid Path
              Cievo Expert

OK, I didn't get answer directly, but I suppose you are using VMware View (VDI technology) to publish MSI packages to your VMs.

Have you tried just install MSI on some machine as it is? Without using VMware View?

• 4. Re: Invalid Path
                caryers Enthusiast

Yes, I am using VMWare View to administor ThinApps. I think I understand what your asking in your last post. On my VDI VM, I can browse to my defined repository and launch the application via the MSI successfully. I can also select the EXE and it works great. Now, once I log off and back on again, my ThinApp'ed application is now available. (I am using persistant pools).

So that tells me something I guess. However, since I can not add it to my ThinApp inventory within the VDI GUI, this would be a manual process for each user which is really not ideal. I hope I answered your questions. Any additional thoughts?

• 5. Re: Invalid Path
                  caryers Enthusiast

I forgot to ask you in my last post...

Can you elaborate with your thoughts below?

"Maybe there is only problem with MSI headers"

How would I troubleshoot or determine if there is a problem with the MSI headers?

Thanks in advance...

• 6. Re: Invalid Path
                    Cievo Expert

Can you, please, attach Package.ini file to this thread?

Thank you,

• 7. Re: Invalid Path
                      pbjork Master
                      vExpertVMware Employees

I do think you'll find everything you need in this blog post..

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2011/03/invalid-msi-and-why.html

• 8. Re: Invalid Path
                        caryers Enthusiast

Cievo: I have attached the package.ini file as requested. Thanks for any insight you may have on this issue. Again, the application is HP's Data Protector backup client version 6.11. Thanks again... Scott

• 9. Re: Invalid Path
                          caryers Enthusiast

Hey Cievo,

Did you ever get a chance to check out the Package.ini file I supplied in my last post on this thread? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have run into this same occurence two other times. Thanks in advance...

Scott

• 10. Re: Invalid Path
                            Cievo Expert

Hello

Sorry for a delay, day has only 24 hours

Do you have your EXEs and DAT files in same directory as your MSI file at your ThinApp repository share?

Where is your ThinApp repository located at? Standard Windows Share?

Try to rebuild your package with attached Package.ini and let us know if it helped.

Have a nice day,

• 11. Re: Invalid Path
                              caryers Enthusiast

Do you have your EXEs and DAT files in same directory as your MSI file at your ThinApp repository share? YES

Where is your ThinApp repository located at? Standard Windows Share? YES

Try to rebuild your package with attached Package.ini and let us know if it helped.

I will try using the attached Package.ini file. Do you recall what modification you did to this file????

Thanks in advance...

• 12. Re: Invalid Path
                                Cievo Expert

Any success?

Modification I made was that Source line for entry point were poiting to out of the project directory - there were poiting into file on native filesystem.