VMware Cloud Community
kelv09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The selected disk already has a VMFS datastore. Select another disk

I'm trying to add another storage and it prompts me this.

I have unmounted the storage and mount it again. But the identifier will not disappear. It uses the same identifer.

I have a second question. I want to add an second iSCSI array. Do I need to create second vmkernel port of the second array or I can use the same vmkernel port for a first array? is there anything I need to do to add a second array on vmware?

Thank you very much for your help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Then, I created a 2TB (as you seen in the picture) and VMware sees 2TB availability.

According to the screen shot it doesn't. It says 2TB capacity, but only 7.84 MB available. It looks like your LUN is a little bit more than 2 TB of size and due to the SCSI-2 limitation (http://kb.vmware.com/kb/3371739) there is an overflow, which leaves the result of 2.xxTB modulo 2TB as the available disk space. I'd suggest you create a 1.99TB LUN which should work.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

About the first question. It looks like your LUN is too large, The maximum supported size is 2 TB minus 512 Bytes.

André

0 Kudos
kelv09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

At first, I assigned a 5TB then I tried to add storage. I saw it only said 2TB available so I canceled the add storage process. Then, I created a 2TB (as you seen in the picture) and VMware sees 2TB availability. When I tried to add storage...that message pop up. It seems to remember the previous naa.6090a0a.... name even after I created a different LUN.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Then, I created a 2TB (as you seen in the picture) and VMware sees 2TB availability.

According to the screen shot it doesn't. It says 2TB capacity, but only 7.84 MB available. It looks like your LUN is a little bit more than 2 TB of size and due to the SCSI-2 limitation (http://kb.vmware.com/kb/3371739) there is an overflow, which leaves the result of 2.xxTB modulo 2TB as the available disk space. I'd suggest you create a 1.99TB LUN which should work.

André

0 Kudos
kelv09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, Andre' . I feel like an idiot Smiley Happy . I just wondering if I need to set up a seperate vmkernel port for this second iSCSI or I can use the same vmkernel for the first iSCSI. I have one dedicate NIC for the first iSCSI. There is not more physical NIC available.

Thanks for all your help

0 Kudos
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You don't need to set up a new vmkernel for each ISCSI. For redundancy, you should have 2 vmkernel ports on a Vswitch with 2 physical NICs, but those can support many individual LUNS.   I have 6 right now sharing the two vmkernel ports. 

kelv09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos