VMware Cloud Community
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

V2V - Win2008 - A general error ocurred: unknown internal error

hi guys

I am doing a V2V. this is the environment.

We got a cluster ESX 3.5 (IBM Hardware servers-storage) running and my customer created a totally new Cluster ESX 4.1 update 1 (IBM Hardware servers-storage)now we have the mission to migrate all VMs

basically my steps are

- Stop Services on VM windows 2008 x64.

- uninstall vmware tools

- Install converter 4.3

- Select Hardware version 4 during conversion

and start the migration but they always fail with A general error ocurred: unknown internal error

I attached the log so you can give me a hand

any idea guys?

Server service is up and running

Workstation service is up and running

Volume shadow copy is up and running

anything else?

or any idea to migrate this?

thanks a lot

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't tell you what's the issue with the converter.

Isn't there a chance to connect at least one of the ESX 3.5 hosts to the new storage and just migrate the VMs?

André

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

got your point and I mentioned that to the customer but the network are totally different If I add the old node to the new VC the connectivity will continue on the VMs?

And can I migrate VMs from DataStore that are not present to the new ESX 4.1?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I was more thinking of a cold migration. No need to add the host to the new vCenter Server cluster. The only requirement would be, that the "old" host can access the new storage. After migrating, remove the VM from the inventory of the old host and add it to the inventory on one of the new hosts.

If the old storage is supported by ESX 4.1 you could even leverage Storage VMotion. You would only need to quickly shut down the VM, remove it from the inventory of the old host, attach it to the inventory of a new host and then migrate the VM either cold or using sVMotion.

In either way the host which "owns" the VM needs to have access to both storage systems.

André

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

well the point is the old servers cannot have access to the new storage since they are FC - old one - and the new one iSCSI.

you might say yeah it is even easier...but customer does not want to do it this way

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I don't want to urge you to do this, but don't you have a NIC in one of the old hosts which can temporarily be used to connect the the iSCSI storage? I'm only asking this to find out the easiest possible solution.

André

PS: Just saw your additional not to the thread, so this won't be an option!

0 Kudos