VMware Cloud Community
CaptEHCJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't get pas 2Tb of disk space on my 4.5Tb RAID5 array

Just purchased a dell 710 - installed with a RAID5 array with active capacity of 4.5Tb.  Installed ESXi 4.1 and it installed fine.  When I add a datastore, ESXi does see total capacity of 4.5Tb.  I create the first Datastore with 2000Gb of capacity and successfully get 2Tb of useable space for Datastore1.  BUT, when I go to add another datastore (Choosing the Disk/LUN option again, same as the first time), I have no options when I get to the "Select Disk/LUN" stage.  How can I access the remaining 2.5Tb of space.  I was planning to set up Datastores of 1.5Tb and 1Tb but dont see how to do so.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

I attempted to attach a file that is a screenshot of the "properties" of the datastore, which also shows the total capacity of 4.5Tb.

Ernie Clark

ernie@MTechNIS.com

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums. As you've found ESXi has a 2 TB LUN limit. With many controllers you can carve up the disks into smaller LUNs (that still span all the disks).  In your case you would create 3 LUN all under 2 TB (the limit is 2 TB - 512B so create LUNs that are less than 2 TB).

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums. As you've found ESXi has a 2 TB LUN limit. With many controllers you can carve up the disks into smaller LUNs (that still span all the disks).  In your case you would create 3 LUN all under 2 TB (the limit is 2 TB - 512B so create LUNs that are less than 2 TB).

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With Dell controllers you can simple create more logical disk (enter in controller config ad look at Virtual Disk definition).

Actually there is not other way.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
CaptEHCJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks and that is, of corse, the answer.  I did not realize that not only is there a 2Tb limit to Datastores, but also a 2Tb limit to LUNS (Virtual Disks per Dell) that ESXi can deal with.  I am making changes to the hardware config even now.  Thanks grealty for your help and quick reply.  It is much appreciated!

Ernie Clark

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

so guys

if my customer needs let's say 2.6 TB for a email server and my Storage supports it ESXi is not capable of using that 2,6TB? not even using EXPANDs?

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use extents to create a datastore larger that 2 TB, but you're still limited to 2 TB virtual disks.

If you're going to be create large virtual disk you'll want to set the block size to 8 MB when you create a new datastore.  That'll allow virtual disk up to 2 TB.   The default datastore that ESXi creates has a block size of 1 MB so virtual disks are limited to 256 GB.  To change the block size you need to delete and recreate the datastore. 

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can use extents to create a datastore larger that 2 TB, but you're still limited to 2 TB virtual disks.

ok great moe than 2 can be mounted but vmdk will be limited

0 Kudos
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You could also use windows disk management to create spanned volumes, but that seems a little scary.   (Vmware extents scare me, too, though)

THis has to be something VMware is working on.  2TB is not really even very big here in 2011.  

0 Kudos
TheEsp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Guys

Just remeber guys the bigger you guys make your vmfs volumes = more load on the backup enviroment

Cheers

David

0 Kudos