VMware Cloud Community
JonT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCloud Host Repair/Unprepare failing

I have a 4.1 Update 1 (build 320092) host that will not repair or unprepare properly for me. I have checked a couple of places but haven't found much. I disabled the host in vCloud Director, moved it out of my DRS cluster that it's in and put it into Maintenance mode. None seem to help. I have tried to go unprepare the host manually using the "uninstaller" script "/opt/vmware/uninstallers/vslad-uninstall.sh" but vslad isnt present. Below is the exact error I get from the vCloud Director when I attempt a repair. It looks like it would be a permissions issue but I have not modified permissions on the host or my vCenter server at all.

(Error copied from pop-up in vCloud Director w/ Server name removed Smiley Happy )

Failure occurred during repair of host "<servername>".  If this is due to a temporary failure, try repair again, otherwise unprepare and then prepare the host.
- The authentication failed. Check the user name and password.

I am at wits end and about to rebuild the host, but not sure that will help.

Next step remove from vCenter and re-add but not sure it will work.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JonT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fixed it. In case anyone comes across this, the solution was to do the following:

- Remove the host from the distributed vSwitch

- Disable the host in vCloud Director

- Put in maintenance mode and remove from the DRS cluster

- Remove from vCenter entirely

- Unprepare host in vCloud Director

- Add host back to vCenter, the DRS Cluster and the distributed vSwitch

- Take out of maintenance mode

- Prepare host in vCloud Director

Basically burned it all the way down from vcd and vCenter. The step I had missed was doing the unprepare when the host wasnt in the vCenter inventory.

0 Kudos