VMware Communities
oberg3
Contributor
Contributor

Using DirectShow Video Mixing Renderer 9 in guest OS

I am using VMware Workstation version 6.5.5 build-328052.  The guest OS is Windows XP x86 SP3 with all windows updates to the current date.  If I copy the Microsoft GraphEdit - DirectShow Graph Tool (graphedt.exe for DirectX 9.0 Build 021204) to the guest OS and attempt to add the Video Mixing Renderer 9 from the quartz.dll, I get an error.  An actual machine with real hardware can obviously perform this in the exact same state of Windows XP.  And I understand that the Video Mixing Renderer 9 uses video hardware acceleration in order to create the directdraw surface to play videos on, but is there a workaround for this within the guest OS?  Is there a display driver that I can install in the guest OS to simulate or actually use the video hardware in the host OS to get the Video Mixing Renderer 9 to be usable?  I have seen other posts, but none of which provided a satisfactory answer.  Although, feel free to post other discussions here in case I missed them.

Thanks in Advance,

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mrpurple
Contributor
Contributor

I know it's been 9 years, but the issue is still as valid now as it was then. I am seeing indication VMR 9 doesn't work -- running a 64-bit Windows 2012 R2 VM on vCenter 6.7, virtual machine hardware version 13. I think without a vGPU, the default display driver cannot offer the DirectX version or APIs that VMR 9 depends on to work.

VMR 7 works though -- and is faster on at least the graphs I have tested it with (H.264 decoding) than either Video Renderer or Enhanced Video Renderer filters. VMR 7 is also the default renderer filter, it seems -- if you choose "Default Video Renderer" in Graph Edit Next (could be something similar in Graph Edit) then VMR 7 is instantiated.

Interestingly, same or similar issue exists with Virtual Box guests:

#15784 (Video Mixing Renderer 9 (VMR) DirectShow graph building issue) – Oracle VM VirtualBox

0 Kudos