VMware Communities
lfcFan
Contributor
Contributor

Newby - Snapshots / Clones

Hi. I am new to VMWare but have previously used Microsoft Virtual Server. I have created a VM Team with guest OS 'Windows 2003 Server' and 'XP Pro'. I have read an article regards Snapshots. I would like to create additional bootable guest server os (replicate network) to enable me to have 3 servers running simultaneously. Do snapshots allow this or do I need to clone the base image? Can I use the base image as a Template for other images?

Thanks,

Phil.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nava_thulasi39

Hi,

You should use the clone. Snapshot - it takes the exact state of the VM for testing / Reproducing the issues.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
lfcFan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

0 Kudos
indyodie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Snapshots are good to take before making changes on a VM.  If the changes cause an error, you can revert to snapshot and recover your VM. As mentioned, if you would like additional VM's, you would want to make a clone.

PHD Virtual Technologies
0 Kudos
lfcFan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I cloned the base image and then used newsid.exe.

How does the vitual network side of things work?

In Virtual Network Editor I see the following:

VMnet1 'Type' 'Host Only' has 'Host Connection' status as 'Connected', 'DHCP' is 'Enabled', 'Subnet Address' is '192.168.204.0'.

VMnet Information

Host Only (connect VMs internally in a private network)

Ticked: Connect a host virtual adapter to this network

Host virtual adapter name: VMware Network Adapter VMnet1

Ticked: Use local DHCP service to distribute IP address to VMs

VMnet8 'Type' 'NAT, 'External Connection' 'NAT',' 'Host Connection' status as 'Connected', 'DHCP' is 'Enabled', 'Subnet Address' is '192.168.149.0'.

VMnet Information

NAT (shared host's IP address with VMs)

Ticked: Connect a host virtual adapter to this network

Host virtual adapter name: VMware Network Adapter VMnet1

Ticked: Use local DHCP service to distribute IP address to VMs

I configured VMnet8 DHCP settings (IP scope 100 to 125). I promoted one of the vm's to a DC (manualy configured IP in VMnet8 range 192.168.149.x). I installed DNS. I then joined my clone server (vm2) to the new domain and manually configured IP + DNS (DNS is set to IP of vm1).

Prior to setting up the test domain I could connect to the LAN from either VM (entered credentials in Basic Windows Login prompt). After setting up the test domain I was unable to browse the LAN (Error Message: 'No network provider accepted the given network path'). I am however able to Remote Desktop to the virtual machines from the LAN.

Kind Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos