12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2007 2:09 PM by xAyiDe

openBSD in ESX

xAyiDe Hot Shot

hi,

Anyone actualy got openBSD runing under ESX?

I tried the m0n0wall for use as a firewall but it was VERY unstable.

Högs CPUs and is hard to even get it past the si0 init.

• 1. Re: openBSD in ESX
          jballon Hot Shot

Yes I have got OpenBSD 3.5 to run in ESX, have to select FreeBSD as the OS. Also use the LSI Logic SCSI Controller rather the the Bus Logic SCSI Controller, which can be changed after initial creation.

• 2. Re: openBSD in ESX
            boydd Champion

I run a few 4.1x vm's - backup DNS servers etc....  Very stable

DB

• 3. Re: openBSD in ESX
              xAyiDe Hot Shot

So how did you get OBSD 3.5 to run in vmware ESX except the things you already said? What version of ESX?

• 4. Re: openBSD in ESX
                xAyiDe Hot Shot

Hi,

I got 3.8 to install with lsilogic adapter. Now only thing left is ti get the vmwaretools to work. AFAIK openbsd is binary compatible with freebsd which there is tools for. But still it will not install in OpenBSD due to some permittion settings. I get "Operation not permitted"

• 5. Re: openBSD in ESX
                  boydd Champion

Sudo - root?  Does the script have the permissions?

DB

• 6. Re: openBSD in ESX
                    xAyiDe Hot Shot

Yeah it has all these. I talked to some guys over at #openbsd on irc they told me maybe I need to do the alternate root thing with a lib folder and freebsd libs to make it work. So I think I skip it and wait for official support or if someone else has a solution.

• 7. Re: openBSD in ESX
                      AJansson Lurker

Looks like the vic driver made it into the source tree. It \*should* be in 3.9 but havent found it. There is some info about it on the -current dev page (http://www.openbsd.org/plus.html :: Some repair to vic(4) so that it might soon work for VMWARE.) so it might included in the 4.0 release.

• 8. Re: openBSD in ESX
                        reyk Lurker

OpenBSD's vic(4) has been fixed and enabled in 4.0-current. It works fine with VMWare

Server and has been tested with VMWare Workstation 4.5.2 as well. Nobody tested it with

ESX yet. It should also work in 64bit amd64 mode but this is neither tested nor enabled in OpenBSD-current.

ESX testers wanted! Please report to the misc@ OpenBSD mailing list or to directly to the developers dlg@ and reyk@.

-snip-

CVSROOT:     /cvs

Module name:     src

Changes by:     dlg@cvs.openbsd.org     2006/11/02 13:45:17

Modified files:

sys/arch/i386/conf: GENERIC RAMDISK_CD

Log message:

enable vic(4) now that it works.

-snap-

• 9. Re: openBSD in ESX
                          ForgeFlakshack Novice

I'd be happy to test on ESX 3.0, but I can't figure out how to get VMWare to tell OpenBSD to use vmxnet instead of vlance.  In ESX 3.0, the network driver is "flexible" which seems to mean that even if I edit the .vmx file so that

ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet"

as soon as the VM starts, it changes it back to:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "vlance". 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 10. Re: openBSD in ESX
                            ReverendDeuce Hot Shot

OpenBSD 4.0 works flawlessly in ESX now (minus vmtools, of course). No special configs are needed. Just configure the VM as "Other" OS, and away you go.

I've been doing a lot of testing with OpenBSD in ESX as we use OpenBSD for our firewalls. It's nice to have a test environment to try out new settings without having to worry about our production HA pair.

• 11. Re: openBSD in ESX
                              krz Lurker

I've just fought with this for three hours. Googling around - found nothing. But I was sure there has to bo "the way". So this is what you have to do to change virtualDev to "vmxnet"

1. Power off the VM

2. Edit manually .vmx file

3. Using Virt. Infr. Client connect directly[/b] to esx host . Not to Virt. Center service ! Log in as root to service console.

4. Power on OpenBSD VM from there.

5.  Voila

• 12. Re: openBSD in ESX
                                xAyiDe Hot Shot

I woukd give a go with e1000 instead