VMware Cloud Community
renesp
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere Client - Connection to host very slow and VM console problem

Hi all,

I’m opening this thread because I have a strange problem with one of our ESXi (4.1) server:

After installation, everything seemed fine as I converted the virtual machines directly to the newly formatted server and was able to start and configure them correctly.

After doing that, I logged into the server again using the Vsphere Client using my Windows Domain Credentials and noticed that it did take pretty long until connection was established (about 20-30 seconds). Connection to other ESXi servers is much faster (about 4 o 5 seconds). Once logged in I tried to open the console of one of the running Windows VM Machines and got the following message: “A connection to the host could not be established”.

So I closed the Vsphere Client and reconnected using the root user. This time connection was much faster and I was able to connect to console.

After some minutes I closed the client again and reconnected with my Windows credentials. Connection was fast and I was able to connect to console.

So I went on doing some testing and got the conclusion that this problem happens with both, Windows user and root user. Sometimes connection is fast and I can open the console of the VM’s and other times connection is slow and I can’t access de console.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

I hope your network is working fine and there are no problems with the cable/port/switch?

Did u try different computer to connect to the ESXi server?

I have also experienced similar issues when connecting to the ESXi server and it takes time, figured out my problem was the IP address allocated to the ESXi server was in use somewhere else also - IP address conflict, and after changing the IP address the connections and operations were faster.

Nikhil

renesp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nikhil,

your post just opened my eyes as before installing ESXi the server was running Windows Server + VMWare Server. It has two NICs and both had assigned an IP address. In our DNS server there was still the record to the IP mapped by the second NIC so there seemed to be a DNS problem. After deleting the obsolete record everything seems to be fine now.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

rensp

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

am glad you were able to resolve the problem.

Nikhil

0 Kudos