VMware Horizon Community
caryers
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to create File during PostScan

I am trying to perform a ThinApp postscan of an application I just installed. I am continiously getting the same write error message during the postscan process regardless if I am logged on with my Domain Admin account or the local Administrator account. I believe I am at the 256 character limit. This application has a deep directory structure plus many very long file names.

So my question to the forum, although I do not see the option, can you change the default directory path where the captures are placed during the initial postscan/capture phase?

Thanks in advance...

Scott

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

By default, the captures folder is picked from "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware ThinApp\Captures"

There are two ways to change the default directory path:

1. Move the whole 'VMWare ThinApp' folder from C:\Program Files\VMware to any desired location (say C:\ThinApp).

If you're running 'build.bat' for any existing ThinApp after doing this change, it will probably fail. You need to set the environment variable THINSTALL_BIN with the value of new location.

2. Reinstall ThinApp by passing the parameter /v INSTALLDIR=”NEW LOCATION”

Eg: VMware-ThinApp-Enterprise-4.6.1-361923.exe /v INSTALLDIR=C:\ThinApp

Thanks
Lakshman

0 Kudos
Theike
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

With the latest versions of ThinApp (4.5+ i believe) the 256 character limit should be resolved.

Additionally to the relocation of ThinApp you could just select another save folder during the post capture steps. My general working steps include storing the captures to the network and i often remap that 'application working folder' containing the installation media, documentation and other files to some X:-drive.This as i hate having to browse through numerous folders before reaching the location for the installation files. And it keeps the save path simple (x:\captures) and short...

Tip btw: Make a zip of the initial capture to be able to repair file corruptions later on. I noticed sometimes the files got corrupted during the processing afterwards (used some tools to move files/create patch versions, which did have the 256 char length issue)...

Tip 2: Install ThinApp to a (network)folder with version information, like c:\thinapp461 and keep older versions

If this is a location that is also available on your build systems it ensures next time the application is rebuilt with the same version of ThinApp as the version will be in the determination process (check the build.bat). We had some problems sometimes rebuilding and the latest edition of ThinApp was used which handled some items a bit different than the version captured with. Now you will have to 'upgrade' manual making you aware some aditional testing might be required...

Kind regards,

Michael Baars - Comprehensive ICT Solutions (CIS) - Weert (NL)

(Please remember to mark the post answered if so and reward points to those who helped you)

Michael Baars - Comprehensive ICT Solutions (NL, Weert) (Remember to mark the post answered and reward points to those who helped you...)
0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just to add some info regarding the maximum character limitation. ThinApp does no longer have such limitation but Windows Explorer still has. Therefore I always try to keep the path as short as possible..

0 Kudos