VMware Cloud Community
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Change portgroup name?

If I change the portgroup name on a virtual standard switch, is it necessary to manually change the virtual NIC binding in all VMs to the new name?  Is there any way to make this automaticly?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

My experience is the same as mittim12's. You may need to reconfigure the VM's manually. Not sure if this is different with dvSwitches, I only tried this on standard vSwitches yet..

My recommendation is to post this in the VMware vSphere™ PowerCLI forum and wait for one of LucD's perfect solutions Smiley Wink

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

it will be automatically reflected on the virtual machine nth much you need to do.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

"As long as the VMs are powered on they will display the "old" name in the Settings.
I suspect that's because the name is just a property of the portgroup.
Internally ESX doesn't use the actual name to find out which portgroup is connected to a VM.

If the guest is restarted you will see the "new" portgroup name.
And that is probably because at that point the vSphere client reads all the properties for the connected devices."

check how rename with powercli Rename a PortGroup http://communities.vmware.com/message/1590709

Message was edited by: MauroBonder

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I didn't have the same experience as the other two posters.  I changed the name of my port group and the VM stayed online but if I did an edit settings on the VM the Network Label was blank.   Once I rebooted the VM it came up without an  IP address.

Any way this should be easy enough for you to test and I would definitely test before doing it to a PortGroup with a large number of guest assigned to it. 

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

My experience is the same as mittim12's. You may need to reconfigure the VM's manually. Not sure if this is different with dvSwitches, I only tried this on standard vSwitches yet..

My recommendation is to post this in the VMware vSphere™ PowerCLI forum and wait for one of LucD's perfect solutions Smiley Wink

André

0 Kudos