VMware Communities
frankmeulenaar
Contributor
Contributor

Show CPU usage of multiple VMs

I'm using VMWare Workstation 7.1.2 on Windows7 with an Intel dualcore E8400. I'm currently running three hosts, all windows XP, and my host's CPU usage is very high; often hitting 100% for a few seconds, on both of my two cores. Is there an easy way to see which of these host(s) use up all my CPU?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

frankmeulenaar wrote:

I'm using VMWare Workstation 7.1.2 on Windows7 with an Intel dualcore E8400. I'm currently running three hosts, all windows XP, and my host's CPU usage is very high; often hitting 100% for a few seconds, on both of my two cores. Is there an easy way to see which of these host(s) use up all my CPU?

When you say that your host CPU is high, does that mean the CPU on your physical computer? (Since you use the term "host" also for the virtual machines above, usually called "guests"). Just to clarify the question.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Running Task Manager on your Host you could see which "vmware-vmx" process is using high CPU and then try to correlate that process to a particular running Guest.

Are any of your Guests configured with more than 1 vCPU?  If so that can cause high Host CPU utilization. 

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

If it is possible, shut down all VMs and then restart them one in the time, and observe the process tab in Task Manager and make a note of the Process ID of the new vmware-vmx for each.

(View and select Columns if not visible).

When having a list of all VMs and their process ID you should be able to locate the VM causing high CPU usage.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos