VMware Horizon Community
DaIceMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Teradici Host card performance problem with latest 3.3.0 firmware

With the latest firmware 3.3.0 released February 4 2011 we noticed a noticeable (to say the least) pcoip performance degradation on our test pc (an hp DC7800 with Nvidia 9400GT VGA running Windows 7 64). Just by trying out google maps through internet explorer or firefox will show you how sloppy the performance is. Something is broken with the dynamic compression of the imaging quality, as now it is always maximum whever the settings in the zero client are.

We downgraded back to 3.2.2 only on the host card (the zero client is still 3.3.0 and seems to work fine with VIEW brokering and direct connections) and everything went back as it should with good pcoip performance and dynamic image adjusting so I suggest anyone experiencing this problem to try to do the same and wait for the next firmware 3.4.0 which I hope should fix this problem. It may be something to do with the isochronous support implementation - something must have been overlooked on the host side, but I'm speculating here.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DaIceMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Firmware 3.3.1 released the April 8th 2011 (4 days ago) appears to have fixed this available from Teradici's techsupport site.

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

I know you resolved this with 3.3.1 but I thought it would be helpful to show the resolved issues with 3.3.1:

Resolved Issues:

•   Fixed USB audio issue with VMware View guests running Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit host OS
  •   Fixed an issue where PCoIP Zero Clients could not connect to the VMware View Connection Server through certain load balancers
  •   Fixed an issue with a Logitech ClearChat wireless headset
  •   Fixed degraded performance with PCoIP Host cards on networks with packet loss, high latency, and/or low bandwidth
  •   Fixed password protection default setting
  •   Fixed CAC PIV endpoint smart card issue
  •   Fix for invalid OEM VPD (vendor product information) content
  •   Fixed issue with OSD appearing on the wrong set of monitors in certain quad display PCoIP Zero Clients
  •   Fixed issue with Power-over-Ethernet failing to power devices if VLAN enabled
  •   Language translation updates
Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos
DaIceMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, thank you for pointing this out. Even though Teradici reported that the "degraded performance" was only on slow networks with packet loss, this was not our case where we have gigabit switches connecting the zeroclient and the host. What I noticed was that the dynamic compression was not working properly or at all, as if it were stuck on max performance and quality all the time, even by changing the client settings to lowest. I think there must have been a slight bug in this "handling" as downgrading it worked and so did the latest 3.3.1.

0 Kudos