VMware Horizon Community
caryers
Contributor
Contributor

Win7 VM Display performance

In order to give Win7 VMs the best possible video effects without effecting VM performance, should a high-end graphics card be installed on the ESX server? I noticed when you select "Adjust for best performance" under Adv. System Settings as suggested by VMWare for best practice for VDI VMs, you loose the nice Win7 visual effects like Fading, Smooth-scrolling, & Animations. Each VM is configured to use 35 MB of RAM. If you switch it back to "Let Windows choose what's best for my computer", you get the nice Win7 "Visual Effects" but performance is effected. There is a very slight typing delay using PCoIP internally or externally. Although very small but noticeable.

As anything else perception is everything, will purchasing a high-end graphics card for the ESX server the way to go here? (I most add my current VDI ESX servers, HP Proliant BL45p, are 6 years old.)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert

Currently there is no graphics card that you can use to on your esxi server to improved graphics performance on your vdi clients.  I believe that Terradicci and VMWare are working on this for a future release.

Eventually you will be able to get specific graphic cards and utilize them for better graphics performance on the host machine.  This, in turn, will allow for your VDI clients to have better graphics performance. 

I would imagine that bandwidth will also be a factor as to how the graphics are displayed.

Larry B.