VMware Cloud Community
alain007
Contributor
Contributor

Different internet conections to my virtual machines

Hello. Sorry if this is not the right place for my post.
I want to install 8 virtual machines/virtual desktops on my home desktop pc (and only for my own personal use and all the 8 machines will run at the same time) and i want to be able to choose what internet connection i want for every of the 8 virtual machines/desktops (curently i have 1 Isp1 cable conection and 1 Isp2 hsdpa Usb modem = 2 internet conections but i intend to buy several subscriptions to other Isp-s so that i'll have completely different Ip's). My Os is win 7 professional 64bit and i intend on each of the 8 machines to install Win xp. You think i need a Type 1 hypervisor for this or what do you think is the best software that i should use ? Thank's

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vSolid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Alain

to create 8 VMs with differenet connection for them you need to do the fellow steps:

before we start this you must have more than one NIC card in you home PC

1- Install VMware workstation v7

2- download ESXi Free Version

3- Create Virtual Machine for ESXi with min 2 GB of RAM for it

4- enable VT ( Virtual Technology) in your home pc BIOS

5- start to install ESXi Free on your VM ( Virtual Machine), put password for root user

6-  give an IP to your ESXi

when you complete all this things try to access over web to your ESXi by the IP you give it in first place

7- download vSphere client from ESXi IP by web and install it on your home pc

8- access by using the information you give to your ESXi

9- start to create your 8 VMs with recommanded setting

10- then you can go to Configration ==} Network ==} add networking

if your PC have more then One NIC then you can select the uplink to your vSwitch

Best Regards

0 Kudos
alain007
Contributor
Contributor

Thank's vSolid for the detailed answer and i want to ask if there is a more simple solution. At the moment i have win 7 64bit my main OS and i have installed VMware Workstation 7.1.4. I have 6 Vm-s already installed and all using Nat option as default (my broadband cable connection is my main internet connection). When i want a certain Vm to connect to internet using my Usb modem i can choose the modem from that Vm options but this solution works for only 1 Vm and i can not give to a 2-nd Vm the same Usb modem connection for internet. Isnt there a simple solution to allow me to  have ,for example, 2 Vm-s to use Nat (broadband connection) and 2 to use Usb modem connection ?

0 Kudos